Continuous Broodiness! I need a Broody Break!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by aoxa, Oct 1, 2012.

1. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Since February 2012 I have not gone a day without a broody. Right now I have 3 chickens and a duck sitting on eggs. Will the madness end?! :duc

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I don't know, but I'm with you. I have had 8 broodies this year and 3 of them at once are now raising babies. The most unlikely culprit to go broody was my 3 1/2 year old hatchery Production Red. Surprisingly (she's such a witch) she's a great mother. My BR is on her 2nd set of babies this year.

3. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    I went a good while w/out one but now Ms. Unbreakable is back at it. I may try to fill fake eggs with water and freeze them like I heard on another thread. Maybe that will work. The cage didn't.

4. aoxa

It's madness isn't it? I sure hope they give it a rest in the winter. Though with my luck they won't. :p I'm running out of places to put them. One of the broodies is in an engine (not in the car).

That's a good idea! To cage them is a lot of work, and I don't have anything that would work for that. I tried dunking them. Nada. I had to hose down a broody who does not hold her poop.

I know, I know.. I have silkies and cochins, so what do I expect? So far it's mostly silkies that have gone broody, but right now I have two Phoenix mixes that are on nests. :barnie

5. what did I do

what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    One of my 6 month old leghorns just went broody. Why, winter is coming on :rolleyes:

6. aoxa

It's craziness isn't it?! And a leghorn! That just isn't normal :lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by