continuous egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amiel2697, Oct 31, 2011.

1. amiel2697

amiel2697 New Egg

Jun 18, 2011
    i have 3 hens and a rooster, rhode island reds (2 hens, rooster, about 25 weeks old) and a silkie pullet at 15 weeks i noticed that one RIR hen always go broody (even if theres no egg!) : , about four times now. but the other just keeps on laying and laying. why is she like that? its very hard to break that habit. what can i do to just keep her laying and not to brood? and i know that will deal with the same problem to my silkie when she grows up. is there a way or a routine to keep them from brooding? and if theres none, is there a routine to stop that? i mean like when they're laying eggs everyday and i notice that they're getting broody (in the first day for example), wht should i do to stop that and to keep them from stopping laying eggs? i hope that there are solutions for this. thanks for you replies. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    There's nothing you can do since it's hormonal!! And the best thing to do is if you don't want broodies get birds that are least likely to go broody!!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by