1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Continuous messy bum

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by whitneywpanetta, Jan 6, 2015.

1. whitneywpanetta

whitneywpanetta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    My 1 1/2 year old buff orpington hen has had a messy bottom for the last three weeks. When we first noticed it we took a closer look and discovered what I believe to be chicken lice nesting around her vent (small and white). We sprinkled her, the rest of the flock, and the coop with seven dust. We followed up with treatment a week later. A few days later I noticed she had dried egg around her rear. I took her inside and soaked her in a warm bath, cleaned up the yolk, dried poo, and dried her. She looedk nice and clean for the first time in weeks. However, once again she is showing signs of a messy bottom. Her vent does not look irritated, there is nothing oozing, just dried poop and ruffled feathers. She isn't acting lethargic. Do I need to be worried? Should I continue bathing her as needed, or leave her alone and see how it goes? The broken egg concerned me, because I know it can be a sign of egg bound, but she hasn't shown other indications of that. It has been approx. a week since she last laid an egg, but she has been inconsistent in her laying since winter started. Thanks for the advice!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would just pull off the dried droppings, and trim any excess feathers around her vent that may be too heavy and are getting soiled. It can be a common problem. If you haven't warmed your flock, the I would worm them with Valbazen which gets all known chicken worms. Dosage is 1/2 ml given by mouth, then repeat in 10 days. Another thing you can do is to give your flock Probiotics in their water once or twice a week. Probios Dispensable Powder is a good brand, easily found. Some poultry vitamins now contain Probiotics also.

3. whitneywpanetta

whitneywpanetta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for your response! Two questions...

-Should I give her the Valbazen, even if I am unsure she has worms? Should I treat the whole flock?
    -Do you have a Probiotic brand you would suggest?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by