Continuous Soft/Rubber Eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Agnella, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Agnella

Agnella Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Hello!
    I've posted in the recent past about my Sweet Pea....a 2yo Buff Orpington. Recently she had soft egg shell hanging from her vent. I gave her a warm bath and let her rest but nothing changed. The next day, the shell had come out and she's been acting normal ever since.
    However, the past few days when I clean the coop, I find egg remnants (mostly just the white) under where they roost. Sweet Pea definitely has some dried egg whites on her butt.
    Tonight, around 8pm, she was in a nesting box straining to lay an egg and out popped a very soft egg with what looked like a very tiny undeveloped egg attached by a bit of stretched out soft egg. After she laid this, she went over to the feed and ate quite a bit of food before she went up to roost.

My girls get Purina Layer feed and free choice oyster shell. Sweet Pea is at the bottom of the pecking order.

Is there something I can do for her?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If she were mine, I'd try a calcium boost, in the form of a crushed Tums. Give once, then maybe once again in a few days. (Crush and give in some yogurt or whatever you know she'll eat.) You could also try putting her in a darkened place to discourage laying for a few days.

I hope this is a temporary thing -- from reading here, I'd guess that it usually is. Here's an article about causes of all sorts of egg defects:

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publi...ndbook/16/thinshelled-eggs-and-shellless-eggs

3. Country4ever

Country4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2007
    Put some oyster shell out for her to have.
    My hens are almost 9 and I say they are in "henopause". haha
    Most of them haven't laid eggs in a couple years.
    But a couple of them are still trying to lay eggs, and its almost too dangerous for them.
    I've found that egg problems really show themselves alot more in spring.........like their egg-making equipment has been asleep for awhile and doesn't work quite up to par. Hopefully yours will soon make stronger eggs.

4. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    Thanks so much! She loves her greek yogurt so I'll crush up a Tums for her and let her go to town with it. Since she's at the bottom of the pecking order, I worry that she doesn't get to eat as much as the others. But, I do keep several feeders out for them so she gets a chance. The oyster shell is separate from the feed but they are definitely eating it.

LOL at 'henopause' !

Thank you very much for the help! She's very special to me :)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  5. Agnella

Jul 20, 2010
    N. Georgia
    I got a normal egg from Sweet Pea today! I was in the coop when she laid it...she seemed to have a hard time pushing it out. Made more noise than the other girls usually do....I'm just glad to see things working properly :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by