Contractor sand for dust bath

If your sand is coarse and very heavy, you can add dry soil to it or peat moss or simply use dry soil as the dirt bath medium or plain peat moss. Peat moss makes an excellent dirt bath for baby chicks since it's light and fluffy and they can really toss it around with total abandon.

It will increase the amount of dust that becomes airborn, and if the chicks are in your house, you might want to hold off until you can move them outside.

If your sand is coarse and very heavy, you can add dry soil to it or peat moss or simply use dry soil as the dirt bath medium or plain peat moss. Peat moss makes an excellent dirt bath for baby chicks since it's light and fluffy and they can really toss it around with total abandon.

It will increase the amount of dust that becomes airborn, and if the chicks are in your house, you might want to hold off until you can move them outside.

I have them in a coop (6’x6’). I bought contractor sand at Lowe’s. It doesn’t seem too coarse. I can add peet moss to it. Dust is not an issue.

Is there a benefit to start now - or should I wait until they start to go outside?

Dirt and/or a chunk of sod from near the chicken yard is what I use at about one week in the brooder.

How long have they been in the coop?
They are about 3 weeks old IIRC...let them go outside into their run.
Dig up a chunk of sod to help them get a hole started.

They’ve been out there for a week. It’s chilly during the day - in the 50s. I thought that would be too cold for them to go outside??

Back
Top Bottom