ContraPest... Anyone use it?

TahomaChickens

Chirping
Nov 25, 2021
Hi all,

I have a rat problem that predates my chickens, but has gotten worse since we got them. I've got the grandpa feeder and have rat-proofed the run, but they aren't going anywhere and the traps I've tried (electric, claws, roller bar) have all been failures. I don't want to use poison because we have lots of raptors in the area, but I'm also REALLY sick of my dogs trying to dig up everything to get to the rats (barn cats not an option due to the dogs).

So, Google led me to ContraPest (contrapeststore.com) as an option. Rat birth control. Would try it in combination with the traps again, to kill off the ones we have, and preventing them from producing the next generation too. Love the concept, but does any one actually have first hand experience with it? Would prefer not to throw almost $100 after a bogus product (done that enough with the traps!).

Hi all,

I have a rat problem that predates my chickens, but has gotten worse since we got them. I've got the grandpa feeder and have rat-proofed the run, but they aren't going anywhere and the traps I've tried (electric, claws, roller bar) have all been failures. I don't want to use poison because we have lots of raptors in the area, but I'm also REALLY sick of my dogs trying to dig up everything to get to the rats (barn cats not an option due to the dogs).

So, Google led me to ContraPest (contrapeststore.com) as an option. Rat birth control. Would try it in combination with the traps again, to kill off the ones we have, and preventing them from producing the next generation too. Love the concept, but does any one actually have first hand experience with it? Would prefer not to throw almost $100 after a bogus product (done that enough with the traps!).
I'm not familiar with ContraPest but if you add cayenne pepper to your chicken feed rats won't eat it. Chickens don't have receptors for cayenne so it doesn't hurt them.

Hi all,

I have. It might've worked if the rats ate it, but they weren't interested. The ants loved it, though.

What solved our rat problem was cats and snap traps. And carefully placed hardware cloth.

I'm not familiar with ContraPest but if you add cayenne pepper to your chicken feed rats won't eat it. Chickens don't have receptors for cayenne so it doesn't hurt them.
I'm also not familiar with ContraPest. Would be worth a Google to see what you can find on it though.

However, I do know that capsaicin doesn't affect rodents.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/009130579090541O

https://www.delta-optimist.com/archive/blog-can-cayenne-pepper-get-rid-of-rodents-3088029

I'm also not familiar with ContraPest. Would be worth a Google to see what you can find on it though.

However, I do know that capsaicin doesn't affect rodents.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/009130579090541O

https://www.delta-optimist.com/archive/blog-can-cayenne-pepper-get-rid-of-rodents-3088029

Cayenne pepper 90,000 -100,000 SHU is what you want to use to deter predators.The SHU measures how hot it is. The following study used Cayenne pepper 2000-3000 SHU https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12974352/

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 21-04-14 Amazon.com Cayenne Pepper Powder 5lb - 90 000 SKHU Health & ...png
    Screenshot 2022-08-23 at 21-04-14 Amazon.com Cayenne Pepper Powder 5lb - 90 000 SKHU Health & ...png
    142.8 KB · Views: 9
Hi all,

Contrapest works well. Have an area of coops housing chickens, turkeys, and ducks. Overrun with Black (Roof) Rats. Deployed several Contrapest bait stations initially along with live trapping and help from a few hired farm cats Started to see some results in two months; fewer rat feces and fewer juvenile rats in traps. At three to four months, no rat feces seen nor did we observe live rats in the coops. In addition, we did not see bait touched in the live traps and very little liquid Contrapest bait being consumed from the bait stations. At first when bait stations were deployed, the liquid bait was consumed rapidly.

Of course, restricting poultry feed spillage and shoring up entrance areas in the enclosures has helped.

Last edited:
Contrapest works well. Have an area of coops housing chickens, turkeys, and ducks. Overrun with Black (Roof) Rats. Deployed several Contrapest bait stations initially along with live trapping and help from a few hired farm cats Started to see some results in two months; fewer rat feces and fewer juvenile rats in traps. At three to four months, no rat feces seen nor did we observe live rats in the coops. In addition, we did not see bait touched in the live traps and very little liquid Contrapest bait being consumed from the bait stations. At first when bait stations were deployed, the liquid bait was consumed rapidly.

Of course, restricting poultry feed spillage and shoring up entrance areas in the enclosures has helped.
:welcome Welcome to the forum!

i have a rat problem in my chicken run! i am seeing adult and juvenile rats and my neighbor has also noticed!! I have all the stored food protected, I use a feeder that is taken in every night along with water, i have surrounded the area with hardward cloth dug 2 feet in and attached to fence. I have planted mint, lavender and bee balm to repel. I just purchased Contrapest but i am really bugging out!! I have to humane traps but havent caught any yet. I do not want to use poisen or snap traps. Has anyone actually gotten this under control??

Back
Top Bottom