Control?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 16chickadees, May 9, 2011.

1. 16chickadees

16chickadees Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    Is it possible to get your chickens to actually listen to you? I mean, they just dont like it when I try to herd them into their box when the weather is bad. Any tips? Or is that just how they are going to be?

2. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Chickens are greedy little raptors. Lure them in with treats.

3. 16chickadees

May 9, 2011
    hehehe >[​IMG] Thats what I do with my RIR but my others (can't remember the name) are just a tad bit smarter then that sometimes =I

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yep. Bribe the walking stomachs with treats.

5. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

Treats and say the same thing every time you give them treats. I use "chick, chick, chick". They all come a running when say it. I always get a chuckle saying it when they are starting to roost. All I hear is chicken flying off the roosts and trampling each other to get out the chicken door to get the treats.

6. mamabahre

mamabahre Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2011
    hehe I do "come here girls!" and they all sprint over like it's a race. Then they stand around waiting for treats...Now this doesn't work at all to get them in their run. They are too sneaky for that. I take a big rake and use that to gently herd them in.

7. 16chickadees

May 9, 2011
    I ussualy tap the side of the bowl or shake the feeder and the run to me but their box is an inclosed one just for all of them, so when the weather gets bad or its really cold. So I cant really go in it and lure them in.

8. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    For the older bunch I tell the rooster "Rudy take your ladies home" and then I say come on girls it's time to go to bed. Most nights Rudy and his broodies are all tucked in when I get there. The RIR group just lost their roo, so they go every which way, but in a couple of weeks they will have calmed down and head on in. The young hens go in when I say come on girls and tap a stick on the fence. The I praise the roos for taking the girlies home. The 8 week olds need a bit more encouragement. I taught my son to just walk slowly behind them and keep them moving towards the cage. That way they don't get too frightened and make a run for it. Pretty soon they will be going in on their own. A light on helps guide them in and treats or fresh feed lures them also. Of course there will always be the runner that decides she is spending the night out side. For that I let my son chase her down. It's usually the same chickens and tends to be the ones that like to get carried around and feel special being carried like little princesses. [​IMG] They rarely ever run too far. Just far enough to be close to where the treats come out of. They aren't as dumb as we would like to think. [​IMG]

9. GreenGables

GreenGables Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    MA
    My chickens love cottage cheese. I buy the 0 fat, 0 salt kind for them. All I have to do is put a little in a dish and call, "cheese", and they come running. They follow me right into the coop. Good luck with your chickens.

10. flocksalot

flocksalot Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Poynette WI
    Quote:We have a hen that loves cottage cheese. She's my sons favorite girl, so when ever he is eating anything he's also feeding her. Last summer he got the container of cottage cheese out and was eating right out of it. Rosie Red came running to beg for food. Alex offered her some on the spoon. She grabbed the spoon and ran around the corner. [​IMG] The rest of the hens came to beg and from around the corner came miss Rosie Red carrying her very own spoon! She was like please sir can I have some more. [​IMG] If you find the right treat they will run through hot coals for it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by