controlling muddy/poopy protected area

Cluckminster Fuller

Songster
13 Years
Oct 16, 2010
I built a large enclosure years ago for my chickens as there are lots of hawks and wild animals in my area. Grass doesn't grow well in the shaded area. They have 2 coops and a very large wire enclosure with a wire roof.
BUT, when we have lots of rain, the ground turns to a sticky, poopy, muddy mess. It sticks to their feet, my shoes, and even some eggs. I have put bedding material down but it doesn't last long before it's part of the mess. Does anyone have a solution to amending the area? I have also used sand to mix with the clay, but it is hard to get enough in by wheelbarrow and as I am getting older it is less doable for me. Is there any other solution that would not be terribly costly or difficult to do?
The enclosure is maybe 30X60 and has a standard size door opening.

If you have lots of leaves like we did in TN, add those. Any organic material will help. You might be able to get cheap or free sawdust or shavings to use as well. Just keep piling it in there. As it breaks down, you will get richer soil. The chickens like scratching around in it. You could make a path with bags of rock you can buy at home improvement stores so you don't fall. Let us know how you do.

Look up the thread for DLM (Deep Litter Method), basically what CapricornFarm states... Make a walk way for yourself; gravel, sand rock, pavers, etc...Then just rake up all the leaves in the Fall & toss it in. See if there's a mill around, they may GIVE you sawdust, shaving is great. Just keep adding, turns to great compost for spreading in the garden or have the neighbor that have gardens come help them selves. Yup as we get older, must make it less labor intensive :(

I fell in love with TN, mainly the people, so friendly & love the accent :)

Look up the thread for DLM (Deep Litter Method), basically what CapricornFarm states... Make a walk way for yourself; gravel, sand rock, pavers, etc...Then just rake up all the leaves in the Fall & toss it in. See if there's a mill around, they may GIVE you sawdust, shaving is great. Just keep adding, turns to great compost for spreading in the garden or have the neighbor that have gardens come help them selves. Yup as we get older, must make it less labor intensive :(

I fell in love with TN, mainly the people, so friendly & love the accent :)
I loved TN, but had to move back to FL to help my parents. We sold our farm in TN after a lot of work, fencing and even a pond! Now we are trying to establish this place in Virginia on the river. Love it!

I loved TN, but had to move back to FL to help my parents. We sold our farm in TN after a lot of work, fencing and even a pond! Now we are trying to establish this place in Virginia on the river. Love it!

We moved back for my parents also. My Dad passed (91) 2yrs ago, missing him dearly and my Mom's (84) having her health issues. It's too expensive here, we can't afford to have what we'd want but someday we'll move back to the Mainland. My kids & grandkids are in AZ & FL, we were born & raised here but life/opportunities "there" abundant.

Memories in TN & the people will always be cherished.

I love the leaves idea. I have to take care of them every year anyway and I have a lot on the ground right now! I can blow them onto a tarp and drag them in. I do have some pavers for me to walk on, but they keep getting buried in dirt when the chickens scratch so I have to redo them. Not sure where there's sawdust, but I will be looking for it for sure! I compost and put it in my garden and also take weeds, leaves and not so great tomatoes and such into the chicken enclosure. When I prune and weed again, I will add more again. The grassy things just seem to gradually disappear without making much change. But the leaves--they last a while. Thanks to all of you SO MUCH. Any other ideas are still greatly appreciated.

We have had SO much rain this year too!!! Muddy and smelly in the back where all the grass/vegetation has been scratched up. Glad for it finally drying out!! I'm not sure what to do when it's so muddy either??

I love the leaves idea. I have to take care of them every year anyway and I have a lot on the ground right now! I can blow them onto a tarp and drag them in. I do have some pavers for me to walk on, but they keep getting buried in dirt when the chickens scratch so I have to redo them. Not sure where there's sawdust, but I will be looking for it for sure! I compost and put it in my garden and also take weeds, leaves and not so great tomatoes and such into the chicken enclosure. When I prune and weed again, I will add more again. The grassy things just seem to gradually disappear without making much change. But the leaves--they last a while. Thanks to all of you SO MUCH. Any other ideas are still greatly appreciated.
You need a good mix of dry plant matter of various sizes and shapes.
Don't use too much of any one material or you'll end up with a slimy anaerobic mess.
The smaller more tender stuff will break down faster and need to be replenished,
while the larger woodier stuff will remain as a base.

Here's a great description of contents and how to manage organic 'bedding' in a run or coop...and there's a great video of what it looks like.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1037998/muddy-run-help-please#post_16017992

I have a large walk in run and never 'clean' poops from the run,
and there is rarely any nasty odors. The bedding of a good mix of dry plant materials use facilitates this nicely, it's basically no maintenance other than adding more material from time to time. I was able to start with a big load of tree trimmings from the power company that had been aged(6 months) so I avoided the toxic molds that can bloom with fresh chippings. I collect dry leaves in the fall (stored in feed bags in a shed) and add them occasionally, and other garden trimmings. I let my grass grow tall, mow and spread it out with discharge pattern, leave it to dry a few day, then push it into rows with the mower discharge, rake it up and add to run.

1027378-7d69f343da1530b0f9ac6a90cfaeef44.jpg

1027013-716dea6c90c51aea25d833ed52eba7b7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom