1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Controlling Pests

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by SubUFarmer, Jul 7, 2011.

1. SubUFarmer

SubUFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Grovetown
    Does anyone have any advice on controlling fly and flee population in and around chicken coops? I don't see any benefit they provide in the system and they are only hurting the situation by annoying me and carrying possible diseases. I have asked around locally from feed stores regarding DE and they look at me like I am nuts. I live in Augusta, GA so flies are as natural as sweet tea but I still don't want them around my girls. Any help is appreciated!

2. wistlindixie

wistlindixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    I've tried the fly traps, not much luck but better than it was. Good luck and can't wait to hear the responses. I'm in AL so I'm feelin' ya!

3. ky-chicken-farmer

ky-chicken-farmer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2011
    i use Country Vet fly spray and automatic dispenser inside my coop. I turn it on in the mornings when i open the doors and turn it off at nite. Its set to spray every 15 mins. Its safe to use and does a pretty good job of keepin flys down

4. SubUFarmer

SubUFarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2011
    Grovetown
    Awesome. Thanks so much everyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by