Conundrum...How do you make the duck coop inviting?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by eventmerlin, Dec 1, 2009.

1. eventmerlin

eventmerlin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Hi All,

Not sure what to do with ducks that will not go in thier coop at night? It's getting cold out. Should I lock them in? (They get really upset when I chase them around to get them to go in and the one legged one (Gump) flies off and it takes me forever to round her up again.) They like to sleep in thier pool or on the ground of thier run (dirt). I put hay in there but they just get it disgusting! I don't want them to get too cold outside (they lay right next to each other to stay warm). My chickens just go in thier coop by themselves. How do you make it enticing for the ducks to go in???

[​IMG]

2. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I always just gathered mine up and put them in the coop each night until they figured it out. However ducks appear to be very hardy and I would think they could spend all but the coldest nights outside with out problem. My wild ducks go in their coop when it gets cold and I never had to put them in the coop to show them what to do, they just learned when its cold outside its warm in there.

3. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    I put treats inside and then herded them in. Once they got in the routine, they went in at night and I closed them up. In the morning I let them out again. Bonus: They laid inside the coop and I didn't have to go easter egg hunting every day.

4. eventmerlin

eventmerlin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Yeah it would be great if they claimed thier own coop for themselves instead of the chicken invaders taking it to nest in [​IMG]

Another question...Do you let your ducks free range with your chickens? I keep mine in because I had to clip 3 of thier wings (left Gump the one legged winged so she could fly to safety if need be) because they were flying into the neighbors yards and causing a ruckus . I think they may have wanted to fly south too [​IMG] I was worried if they flew off Gump would too and I figured she'd never make it in the wild with one leg...... I'm worried though something will try to eat them or they won't wander back like the chickens. I have a small brook running through my property (about 50 feet) from thier run and I worry they will just float downstream [​IMG] and not know how to come home. Thank goodness I don''t have kids yet.... I think I'll be a worried mother all the time. Jeez

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by