Conundrum

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Elakr1, Jul 13, 2011.

1. Elakr1

Elakr1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    :(Lost 4 pheasants over the last two days. At first I thought the were
    killing each other. But the dead ones are being eaten. Lost three last night
    two dead inside the run and a pile of feathers outside the run.

Looked for an entrance in the fence found not. Then saw feathers and blood
    at the top of the run, something it fetting through the sean of the bird neting
    that covers the top.

This is the first time I have tried raising pheasants.

Down to one hen.

I live in a rural area. Have seen coons, ferrel cats and opossum in the past,
    but have two dogs(USELESS as protecters)[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Sorry about your losses [​IMG]. Go through and secure ALL THE WAY AROUND the seam. Also be aware that climbing predators like raccoons and others will go through bird netting like a hot knife through butter - consider heavier wire as a roof/ceiling.

3. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    How big is your pen, and how high? If it is small enough, you may want to put a solid top on it. My pen has a solid roof, 2x4 fencing around the sides, and hardware cloth around the bottom 2 feet.

4. Elakr1

Elakr1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2011
    The run is 8x16ft with a 3x5ft coop added to the end.
    Started with 10 pheasants and am down to two.

Also have an 8x16 run beside the pheasant run for the 20 bobwhites I have in the brooder.
    The quail will stay in the brooder untill the killer is captured and disposed of.

5. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    At the least I would run electric fence about 6" up from the bottom of the fence, and then another line of electric fence about 6" from the top of the fence. That should stop any climbers as long as there are no overhanging trees.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by