Convert a Greenhouse to a Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kagraddy, Apr 1, 2018.

1. Kagraddy

Kagraddy Hatching

Mar 26, 2018
    Hi y'all- any ideas or suggestions if I were to convert a little cottage greenhouse into a chicken coop. Clearly would have to address ventilation and board up the roof. Any concerns or advice to give?

Farmer Connie likes this.
  2. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie All My Friends Have Hoofs

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    wwwsddex (6) copy.jpg

3. Puffy Fluffy Silkies

Puffy Fluffy Silkies In the Brooder

Feb 2, 2018
    Hi, Welcome to BYC! I have personally thought about converting a greenhouse into a chicken coop as well. The only concern I could think of is that it might get too humid and increase the risk of the chickens getting fungal infections.

4. Kagraddy

Kagraddy Hatching

Mar 26, 2018
    Thank you for the welcome and the information! I just wonder if I could board up some of the windows. Obviously would build a large run for them but wonder if that would help? Curious, how many windows is too many windows for chickens. I have been researching designs and it looks like many large ones have 4.

5. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Crowing

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    If you have a photo of this greenhouse it would help, as well as information about your location/climate (exact town isn't needed, but even region of the country/world helps). As a general rule chickens need shade/cool more than heat, and plenty of ventilation. A greenhouse could be converted to a coop but depending on your climate it could be too hot or humid and might require replacement of most of the transparent panels with wood or wire mesh.

aart and jthornton like this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto All Dat^^

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: