Converted dog pens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Andrea72, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Andrea72

Andrea72 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][/IMG][​IMG]
    My husband got out of the hunting dog business and we thought we could convert them into chicken pens. Each pen has a door in the floor that opens up to the fenced in yard below. Next weekend we plan on building their huge run. So far, the chickens are very happy. Already laying eggs! Each dog kennel has had a door cut out in the back so we can reach in to the nesting boxes. What do you think?

2. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Very cool setup!!!!

3. mjanderson437

mjanderson437 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    SC Lowcountry
    Very nice! I like the up off the ground design. Its fun taking one thing and converting it to something else!
    My chicken coop is also a converted dog kennel. It isn't up off the ground though. It was originally 4 separate runs that I took down the fence between to make one large pen. I took the plywood off the front of two of the houses, one for nesting and one for roosting which they don't do in the house anyway. I'm thinking about opening up the other two houses as well. I have to go in the coop to get my eggs because the back of the house is made of a laminate that's pretty hard to cut and I haven't asked my husband to go to the extra trouble. In retrospect, I wish I had left one of the gates fenced off as the hens rush the gate trying to exit into the yard every time I open the gate. I may go back with chicken wire and make an 'airlock' to avoid this.

1 person likes this.
  4. Daisy Girl

Daisy Girl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2013
    Very nice! Great way to re-use something you already had. [​IMG]

5. nzange

nzange Out Of The Brooder

Fantastic. We are trying to use as many things recycled as possible, including a recycled dog kennel and leftover bits and bobs for shelter etc. It kind of fits with the theme of stuff I get for our house too, recycled, old, vintage and re-furnished.

1 person likes this.
  6. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks everyone. I can't wait until it's all finished. It might not be fancy but it's not too shabby, I don't think. And the chickens are now separated by breed. I'll post pics as we go! My shipment of silver laced wyandottes arrived last week. Got to get their home ready! :)

7. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    Coming along.....[​IMG]

8. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]

9. Andrea72

Feb 6, 2013
    Florida
    [​IMG]

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cool! Love the reuse!
    Gonna have separate runs for each breed too?
    Any predators there? Might think about 1/2" x 1/2" hardware cloth to replace the cyclone and 2" x 4" on the coop walls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by