converted smokehouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by earnhardtlvr, Mar 28, 2011.

1. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Check out my BYC page for pics on the progress we r making on converting an old smokehouse into a lovely chicken house for when my peeps are old enough to live outside!

2. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    I've been waiting to see this. [​IMG]

3. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Ok...I looked. [​IMG] Nice!
    Did I count 10 nest boxes? How many chicken do you plan to have in there?

4. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:May I call u Taz? Thanks so much for the thumbs up! We r newbies and have never done anything like this before. We have done a lot of research tho because we wanted to try to make sure we were doing it right! Yes, there are 10 boxes, 14x14 each. We r hoping that all 20 peeps we ordered make it. 19 r SUPPOSED to b hens and one rooster. We r just concerned about temp in the building, because from all our research that seems to be THE biggest issue. The house is 11L x7W x10H. There r 2 covered vents near the floor on the East wall and then 2 vents in the ceiling on the west wall, plus the windows on every wall and the door has a screen in it. It will b fun trying to find the right combination of windows open/shut to make the girls and Roscoe comfy!

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:May I call u Taz? Thanks so much for the thumbs up! We r newbies and have never done anything like this before. We have done a lot of research tho because we wanted to try to make sure we were doing it right! Yes, there are 10 boxes, 14x14 each. We r hoping that all 20 peeps we ordered make it. 19 r SUPPOSED to b hens and one rooster. We r just concerned about temp in the building, because from all our research that seems to be THE biggest issue. The house is 11L x7W x10H. There r 2 covered vents near the floor on the East wall and then 2 vents in the ceiling on the west wall, plus the windows on every wall and the door has a screen in it. It will b fun trying to find the right combination of windows open/shut to make the girls and Roscoe comfy!

Taz is fine. [​IMG] I am currently building a new coop as well. I can tell you that 10 nest boxes are way too many. It is supposed to be 1 box per 4 hens, they like to share/fight over just a couple. I am using what could be "future" nest boxes as broody/isolation pens. I will be putting a cage door on the front. I think these will come in handy if I need to break a broody or if one is being disturbed while sitting. Any bullies could be put in "time out" without actualy being removed from the coop.

6. Ogress

Ogress Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2010
    North Bend, WA
    My Coop
    Quote:Very Nice! I was worried about my coop getting too cold. We just completed it early February. It has lots of ventilation and it was very cold in there while I was painting and finishing it up. I am surprised how warm it stays in there now with all the wood shavings on the floor and 9 hens inside. (pics on my page) I put a heater in there and plugged it into a thermo-cube to turn on when it drops to 35 and turn off at 45. I have only seen it come on once, and that is when the winds were howling with gusts of 60 mph, the snow was deep, and the temperature was 9 degrees outside. It came on after I opened the door to gather eggs, and was only on a few minutes. I noticed on cold nights, a few of the girls will choose to sleep in the nesting boxes instead of the roosting bars.

7. earnhardtlvr

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD

Taz is fine. [​IMG] I am currently building a new coop as well. I can tell you that 10 nest boxes are way too many. It is supposed to be 1 box per 4 hens, they like to share/fight over just a couple. I am using what could be "future" nest boxes as broody/isolation pens. I will be putting a cage door on the front. I think these will come in handy if I need to break a broody or if one is being disturbed while sitting. Any bullies could be put in "time out" without actualy being removed from the coop.

Hi Taz!
    We r starting out with 20 peeps and depending on how that goes might get some more...so that's y we decided to go ahead and build the nest boxes. I'm not sure what kind of peeps I'm going to get yet cuz I ordered an assortment...but that's a good idea about having a time out box! LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by