Converticoop design

srwdachshund

Hatching
9 Years
Jan 31, 2010
I've been looking for a chicken tractor design, and i really like the converticoop. i was wonder what peoples experiences have been with it. the site i was looking at said that it fits 5 standard hens, is that true. and is there a way if you close them up at night that at least the water fits in the coop part? also i was curious about how cool it stays in the winter, it looks like it would get to cold. and how cool it stays in the summer, the only shade around here is morning to afternoon shade. I have problems with predators, so having a tractor i can close up is a must. and if anyone has a better tracor design i would love to see it, i just want one thats easy to move!

How many chickens do you want to keep in it. For how long?

From what I have heard, people who have the A-frame design seem to like it. With just a few chickens.

My only concern: It is pretty tight in the top. Your chickens need to be really friendly

Oh, and it needs 1/2" hardware cloth not the big hole fencing they show in a bunch of the pictures.

Last edited:
I have a large coop for all my chickens but with living next to a busy road, they arent allowed to free range, and their run is mostly dirt. so i like to move some of the hens out during the summer so they can have grass and bugs. i was thinking if 5 hens would fit in the tractor that would be perfect. but like i said, i need to know if it stays cool enough in the summer, and sometimes my chickens have to be seperated in the winter, and i'd like to know if it would be warm enough.
thanks for the help!

Really surprised that more people have not chimed in on this.

The top area does not look like it has any ventilation other than when the pop door is down. Unless there are some panels not shown in the pics and videos I have seen.
So it probably gets hot and smelly pretty fast. I am a follower of Pat's 1 square foot ventilation per chicken suggestion.

I really prefer a hoop coop design. Easy to make, easy to adjust the width and length for your needs, etc.

Consider using a pen during the day for all ur chickens and just using ur present coop at night. I am doing this and love it.(See my BYC page.) I am planning on a more permanent coop with a run for the days I can't let them"freerange" in their pen. I am on 2 acres and have lots of hawks and eagles constantly flying over with a busy road in front so I can't just let them loose either.

I want to post a photo of our Duck Barn converted to a Chicken House. How do I post photos? Aria insert Duck Barn photo

Last edited:
thank you everyone for the input. the problem with putting my chickens back into the big coop every night and getting them out every morning is that adds more to my chores, and between school, work and the chores i already have i don't know if i could add anything else. but it does sound like a great idea and something i haven't even thought of. but because it would be easier to just leave the chickens in the tractor for a period of time, i need one that i can close them is for saftey. i agree that the top of the run looks a little cramped, and like it wouldn't have much ventilation, but i have also heard that many people love thers. i don't really care what my tractor looks like, i just need it to hold at least 4-5 hens, and be light enough for two people to move easily.

Quote:
Mine follow me to tractor/pen in am for treats, ie BOSS , cantalope rinds, oatmeal...whatever I have leftover from night before.I don't keep food or water in coop. Takes 5 min max. At night I just wait til dusk and they run to coop. ...they beat me to it.I just close the door.

Back
Top Bottom