Converting a shed?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gracejr, Mar 31, 2012.

1. gracejr

gracejr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Found a 12x12' shed in CL today for a steal. I'm hoping to convert it to dual purpose as a shed and as a chicken coop. We need to keep the budget very frugal on this project, so I'm hoping for some tips for those that have been there/done that.

What would you divide the coop with? I'll either be splitting it into 6x12 sections or 8x12 coop, 4x12 shed. We really only need space for a lawnmower, rakes/shovels, kids sleds and basic gardening equipment, so I don't need a huge shed area. Planning on starting out with a maximum of a dozen pullets, but I want extra room for the future if we add a rooster or start raising our own for meat instead of eggs only. (This is our first time with chickens, so just basics for now) How many chickens would you fit in a 6x12 coop? 8x12? They'll also have a very large fenced run, at least double the coop size. I considered free ranging, but don't dare with the neighbor's outdoor cat, various foster dogs that come through our house, and very occasional skunks and raccoons.

Would you put a full size door to the coop on the outside, or in the shed divider? Will one window high up suffice, or should I have more than one? I'd like to extend the egg season as long as possible, but I'm not sure how practical that will be with northern winters. Any tips or suggestions for a first time coop builder and owner? Easy to clean and cheap as possible are my top priorities.

ETA, this is the shed, if we can find a way to get it home (seller is an hour away and we have no truck, yikes!)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  2. gracejr

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Nevermind, they sold the shed this morning. Haven't seen any other sheds for a good price around here, so time to start looking for pallets...

3. Joe.G

Joe.G Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Just wondering what is a good price, I think the hassle of moving something like that for that distance unless you had the equipment your self to do so would not make it worth it. You could get a shed much nicer then that for under $1,000.00 here and could build one your self for much cheaper then that.

4. marlo1968

marlo1968 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Lorenzo, TX
    I made my hen house for about $168. Most of it is recycled materials. I purchased some 2x4's, hinges, screws, nails, and chicken wire. All other materials we had laying around. It isn't pretty but it works and is a nice size for the 20 hens I will have in it. Currently there are 15 hens, I have 5 chicks that will join them when they are old enough. The hen house is 4' x 8' x 5' high. The $168 inculdes the cost of the run which is about 8' x 16'. Try asking around or posting on craigslist for scrap wood, wire that you could pick up for free or next to nothing. I use a trash can with an attached lid to store their feed in. Keeps it dry and where it is placed it is out of the afternoon sun. The nest boxes (8) open with a top hinged door from the outside, which is nice, easy to clean and retrieve eggs.

Already had all the wood for walls, tin for roof, larger wire for top of enclosed run, posts. On the edge of the roof tin you can see that because it sticks out covering the nest boxes we put some pipe insulation tubing to keep our scalps as it's only about 5' tall.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. gracejr

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    The shed pictured above was $150 OBO. Plywood alone would cost more than that for the size building I'm making (12x12), nevermind the other materials needed. We'll only be starting with 6-12 right now, but I want room for 24 or so since we'll probably do some meat in the future as well. Plus the front portion of the shed will be used for storage, lawn mower, etc. All the other sheds I've seen on CL were smaller than this and were $500 plus, most closer to $1000, which just won't work.

I wish I'd known earlier, my step-father works construction and they recently trashed 3 large dumpsters full of pallets. [​IMG] The current job site won't be finished until August, so looks like I won't be getting any supplies that way. Checking CL and calling around to stores to see what I can get for free pallets, then just trying to find other supplies cheap/free.

6. gracejr

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Well, I guess I spoke too soon! Or maybe I just need to complain more often. LOL While searching CL again this morning I found another shed. It's a bit more than I wanted to spend on a shed, but... It is in great shape, it is sided and shingled, AND it is local. If we can find someone with a trailer to borrow to haul it, it looks like we may be getting it! [​IMG] It also has shelving built inside it, so I'll have some spare wood from the shelving to use on other parts of the conversion.

[​IMG]

Realistically, the extra cost will be worth it. Trying to build one from pallets with a toddler underfoot would take forever. The extra $100 or so is worth the time and hassle savings, IMO.

7. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    That shed is much better then the other, what are they asking for this one? Around here you could get a shed like that for well under $1,000.00 New

8. gracejr

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    They're asking $350, which is a really excellent deal around here it seems. I did find one similar for $400 today, but it was an hour and a half away which just isn't possible. Everything else I've seen for a similar size (12'x12') in this condition was close to or over $1000. $500 bare minimum. $350 is already stretching it, so $500 would absolutely be out. That is what I've seen on CL. I'm pretty sure all the sheds or kits I looked at new were around the $1000 mark, but I don't remember offhand.

9. Joe.G

Nov 16, 2011
    Eastern NY
    Thats a good deal, you can talk to a local towing company they may be able to move it for you on there flatbed.

10. gracejr

Mar 31, 2012
    Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks Joe! My step father has a truck, but he wasn't sure if their company trailer was usable or not. Waiting to hear back on that. If not there's another friend who used to have a trailer we might be able to borrow. Otherwise, we'll be hiring someone. Looked at it today and we definitely want it, just have to get it here! (And clear out all the brush where it will be going - yikes!)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by