1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Converting a shed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mother4Jesus, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Mother4Jesus

Mother4Jesus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    My hubby found a great deal...
    A plastic shed, 8x6.
    We are going to make this our coop.

What is some advice you can give?
    We are going to have it close to the house to help with predators. I am going to attach a dog run to the front of the shed for a run but they will be free ranging.

Here is a pic of the Shed. http://www.samsclub.com/sams/infinity-8-x-6-resin-storage-shed/prod5780149.ip?navAction=push

I like that it has a side closet that we can attach anywhere on the shed to keep supplies in. There are windows and ventilation at the top along with a rain gutter.

I think for the price it's a great idea.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It might need more ventilation.
    You could build a heck of a coop and run out of wood and hardware cloth for $900.
    I'd do a bit more research and reading here before writing a check for that shed.

3. Mother4Jesus

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    The problem is that my hubby is a computer programmer...he's not handy. I'm sure we could build for cheaper but that isn't an option for us. The only other option is to buy the ready made ones..amish type but that would cost over 2000.00 and not give us the extra room.

THe windows open on the shed too....so I thought with the vents on top and then the windows that it would be plenty.

4. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Laura... I agree that you may need to cut openings for more vents. This shed will work fine if that is what you choose. You will want to construct a roost bar inside along with nesting boxes. If your hubby and you are handy with a saw and drill then I would recommend building a coop. It would cost half the price of your listed shed and much stronger. I do realize that some are intimidated with construction and not eveyone has a truck to haul home wood. I guess I prefer wood coops since they allow easy to nail things on, modify, and they are very sturdy. Below is a picture of my coop years ago when I started my build. It took 1 day to do what is pictured another day to enclose...

This shown is less than 150 dollars in wood with a window to start the build....
    [​IMG]

Add ons as time went on.... Hope this Helps! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Ah... just saw your post. Have you looked at Home Depot or Lowes? They have wood shed that they will deliver and build-out. Similar price to your plastic shed.

6. Mother4Jesus

Jan 1, 2012
    New York
    ok, I'll look. thank you.

7. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    looks like a great shed. you could make a super coop w/that. just secure it well so it doesn't blow over.

8. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    That is super expensive. You can build a coop out of wood that will last forever, and you can custom build it for less than that. Sweet heavens! $900.00 wow.
    Or go on Amazon and buy one of the ez shed kits. It gives you all the brackets and a parts list. As long as you can get your lumber cut all you would need is a power drill and hammer and nails. It isn't hard. My husband isn't handy either, but if I need him to help me build something we figure it out. Luckily chickens don't seem to care if something isn't totally straight...Lol
    But for real, that is really expensive.

That and does that shed have any windows? because a little ventilation won't cut it. You have to have at least one window you can open...even in winter. They have to have a lot a lot a lot of fresh air.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  9. TXchickmum

TXchickmum Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2012
    North Texas
    -looks like it will make a beautiful coop! -would make certain there is adequate ventilation. The plastic will probably work just fine in your (New York) climate. (Here in Texas, that material would be way too hot.) -and, if $900 is within your budget then do it! You all know what works best for your time, budget, carpentry skill level, and family. -best of luck!

10. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    Don't be talked into building one if you are not skilled for that. The money savings is only if you consider your time worth zero dollars. I built my own house and let me tell you building a coup was a chore for me. I spent 5 or 6 weekends to get it completely done! It was a lot more work than I ever thought it would be. Oh....and I am a computer programmer too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by