Converting call duck house to Silkie house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mommabird724, Jun 11, 2016.

1. mommabird724

mommabird724 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I adopted all my silkies from different people within the same week. They are still working out pecking order. I need to protect the two mint and the one month old until they get a little older, I think, but need your advice on this. I have been socializing everyone during the day when they are all together outside.

We debated about using the sinks for dirt bathing, but settled on placing a dirt bathing area in the bottom level. It has a brick floor.

We are going to cover the mesh flooring in the upper level with linoleum, leaving the opening for the ramp. I'm thinking of covering the linol with pine shavings or hay since it's not really suitable for the deep litter method.

The enclosure has a trap door for access to the upper run. Everyone is quartered off because Bella has her babies in the enclosure, Willow had the lower level in case she is going to set eggs and the two youngest, Maizy and Lucy will have the upper run while I'm on vacation for three days.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. mommabird724

mommabird724 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2015
    I should have mentioned that this house was built for call ducks, but I'm renovating for Silkies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by