Converting existing shed into coop - input / opinions wanted

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hagisan, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Hagisan

Hagisan New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    Wilton, CA
    Hello BYC.

As we get ready to begin our family's eggventure, I thought I'd toss an idea out here for some input.

On the property, we have an existing shed that I'd like to convert into a coop. Currently it has no power, but it appears the previous owner ran an extension cord from the side of the house into the shed. You can see it in the 2nd pic.

The shed measures 16x12x6.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After cleaning it out, I have questions about the flooring. Should I remove it, and put grate down for easy cleaning? Leave the existing floor and raise it up using grate and trays underneath?

I was going to cut the doors to allow the tops to be closed allowing the bottoms to remain open. Then create an enclosure for them to safely roam the yard.

In the bottom pic, I wanted to build out the nesting boxes under the eave so they're easy to access from the outside.

What would you suggest I do with the exposed studs and paper inside? Layered chicken wire x2 or plywood to prevent damage by the chickens?

Your input / opinions are greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.

Bradley the N00b

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Is the whole thing going to be a coop? You sure can raise a big number . I read that people put linoleum on the floor for easy cleaning. Install plenty of ventilation. Read up some posts about that. As to the exposed studs, I think they pose no danger. On the other hand it would be a bonus to insulate and put plywood on the walls. Possibly install more windows for natural light. In the hot summer open them wide and have good screens to protect against predators. Keep inside from overheating. HAVE FUN
    [​IMG]

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    [​IMG]

For the floor in my old coop I had linoleum. I had bought it as a close out so it was cheap. After 4 years of cleaning it with the broom and plastic scoop shovel it was showing a small wear spot.
    I painted the floor of my new larger coop with porch paint and it is holding up very nicely.

I would not do any kind of grate on the floor or anywhere they have to walk. A stuck toe or foot would be a disaster as the chicken would struggle and flop trying to get free.

I use pine shavings and am very very happy with them on the floor.
    They clean up easily and my coop does not smell bad. A droppings board would mean the floor would stay a lot cleaner too. Chickens poo mostly during the night and with a droppings board under the roost it is easy to manage. I do not have one in my new coop simply because I have hens that thought it was a great place to be under when they layed their eggs.

Babs

4. Hagisan

Hagisan New Egg

Jan 24, 2015
    Wilton, CA
    Thanks for your input.
    I have access to some insulation and linoleum flooring on the cheap and will go that route. In the first pic I was thinking of putting an exhaust fan with protective grate in that window for air circulation. Looks like I'll need to cut more windows for more fresh air.

We have plenty of hawks around here (saw one take a small rabbit from the yard), so I'll make sure the can roam in a safe enclosure. Folks have told me we have bobcats but I have yet to find any signs. Roaming area will be at least the same size of the coop is not bigger.

Thanks again for your replies.

Bradley the N00b

5. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Thing about chickens is they are very dusty critters. If you do try a fan make sure it is an outdoor rated fan. I would like to add that extension cords can cause fires so that is something to consider.

In the pic of the unfinished inside of my coop you can see the hardware cloth and fender washers on the windows.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

In this one you can see the handmade windows that fit between the studs in the walls. It is not painted black lol it is smoked lexan.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by