Converting METAL shed in to a coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kmwright, Jul 2, 2010.

1. kmwright

kmwright Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    We have a nice sectioned off area in our backyard where I plan to put the chicken run. We have an older shed back there that doesn't get much use, and I would like to turn it in to a coop. However, it's metal. It doesn't have any windows. It has sliding doors, but they are in bad shape so I plan on taking them off completely and maybe putting something else up to cover the entrance.

Do they NEED to have windows, or is that purely cosmetic? During the day they will be in the run and have lots of fresh air and sunshine, but when in the coop, not so much.

This is what ours looks like, just a different color. We built it on a wooden foundation to keep pests out.

[​IMG]

Thanks for your help!!

2. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Where do you live/ what type of cliamate? That will make answering your questions much easier for everyone.

3. kmwright

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Good idea, [​IMG]

I live in Northern California. Summers are HOT (it's going to be 96 tomorrow and 102 on Sunday.) We don't get too much rain, and the winters are not extremely cold. The area where the shed is gets mostly sun but also has a shade tree on one side.

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

You are going to need ventilation. It stays pretty darned hot at night in this neck of the ...woods.... so to speak. A shed can be converted, but it will take some punching through the walls to make ventilation ports, and you'll need some on at least 3 sides. Don't need windows, but ..... they're a great way to increase ventilation as well as making the coop feel less like a shed. Chickens DO sometimes roost in the coop during the day, plus you're going to want them to go inside to lay eggs. Nobody's gonna wanna do that if it's stifling hot in there.

5. kmwright

Jun 24, 2010
    Winters, CA
    Linda, you are my BYC BFF. I would love to come and check out your set up some day since I work where you live!

Okay, I'll have to find someone who halfway knows what they are doing to help me with the ventilation holes. I plan on putting a door on the shed that's open air (not another solid door) but even then, I would need ventilation on the other sides.

Sigh. Nothing is ever easy! I thought I had a shed that would work and it would cost me near nothing. Boo.

6. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    Ihope this picture comes out. I took a metal shed and made it into a noce working coop. The trick is to frame on the inside openings you need on the sides of the shed. then cut the metal off. Then use wood to build a door or put a window on or if it is a vent . cover the framed opening with 1x2 welded wire. In this picture you can see on left side a chicken door, window with vent framed on top of it. Also nestboxes sticking out of right side of coop. They are external and can be opened from outside to gather eggs. This shed was your plain metal shed that I retro-fitted.

[​IMG]

Take care , Dave

7. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Wow that shed transformed into an amazing coop. I REALLY LIKE IT! [​IMG] [​IMG] How long did it take you?

8. Zahboo

Zahboo Simply Stated

Feb 3, 2009
    Hope Mills, NC
    Have you ever walked into one of those sheds, it's an oven. Maybe in a northern state, but in Cali, I personally think you'd be asking for heat strokes and bad laying.

9. chics in the sun

chics in the sun Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2010
    St.Petersburg
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but waiting for people with more experience to give their opinions first. I went in my garage the other day and in approximately 3 minutes I was sweating profusely and had to get out - and the garage is wood, not metal. This is my wacky warm-weather Florida coop. It ain't pretty, but sometimes when it is 97degrees out and I have the door wide open for them to free-range anywhere they like, they actually prefer to come back into the coop and stay cool. If I did it over, I would have at least one more wall that is solid for when it rains hard. For now, I made vinyl 'windows' to hang up for heavy rain or cool weather.

[​IMG]

Keep in mind that chickens are far more cold tolerant than heat tolerant.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2010
  10. GreenEggers

GreenEggers Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2009
    I live in a similar climate and I use exactly what you are describing. They seem happy.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by