Converting metal shed into chicken coop

Cheeseburger Bandit

In the Brooder
Mar 10, 2020
Upstate NY
Hi all! I just moved to upstate NY from AK and want to start my flock! The house we bought has a metal shed in a perfect location for a coop. any ideas or tips on how to safely house them in the shed? It has sliding doors on the front and that's it. There are no windows or anything so I'm concerned about ventilation. In the summer it will be mostly open, but come winter it will be closed up and dark? Ideas/Advice welcome!

dont do it i live in ny and my shed is all rusted from the humidity from the winter then gets hot as heck in the summer

Metal sheds are not ideal coop conversions but they can be certainly be done.
Google metal shed to chicken coop conversions and you will get countless plans.
Ventilation will be key as with any coop. You can decide on window placement etc but an excellent way to ventilate is to keep your soffits open (wire predator protection of course).
I would also replace the sliding door with a swinging door. Less sound upon opening, track gets jammed with bedding, but thats me.
Do your research. Be creative. Hsve fun with it!

Ventilation will be key as with any coop. You can decide on window placement etc but an excellent way to ventilate is to keep your soffits open (wire predator protection of course).
I would also replace the sliding door with a swinging door. Less sound upon opening, track gets jammed with bedding, but thats me.

I have a sliding door and it never gets stuck because it’s built correctly and I clean my coop.

I have a sliding door and it never gets stuck because it’s built correctly and I clean my coop.
Yeah but this is an "old metal shed" conversion. ALOT of "old metal sheds" are no longer functioning perfectly and often have sticky doors. Cleaning out the track is one more hassle I dont have time for and its easier to make the cha ge now rather than a year from now with the birds in it should it fail.

Hi all! I just moved to upstate NY from AK and want to start my flock! The house we bought has a metal shed in a perfect location for a coop. any ideas or tips on how to safely house them in the shed? It has sliding doors on the front and that's it. There are no windows or anything so I'm concerned about ventilation. In the summer it will be mostly open, but come winter it will be closed up and dark? Ideas/Advice welcome!
I don't see anything wrong with that. If anything can be converted to a coop. as long as it will shelter the coop well. I don't see anything wrong.

Yes, the sliding doors have got to go. The sound alone is terrible, and already have gunk in the tracks. I'm hoping to figure out a ventilation strategy that's worth the work, and if not, tearing it down and starting from scratch may be the way to go. Thanks for the feedback!

Yes, I’d definitely assess the potential of the existing structure critically. If budget isn’t a concern and it’s capacity meets your requirements I’d keep it and modify as necessary because it should be solid.
The proverbial grease will fix the squeaky wheel and gunk will be removed by those who care.
High and low ventilation ports e.g. windows or vents on all sides will prevent heat exhaustion and dust build up. I’d definitely have two opposite side doors though for cross air circulation in the summer.
I believe the down side with these structures is the continuous refortification and maintenance in contrasts to erecting a new structure. At a minimum, your shed can store feed and a UTV:lau.

Back
Top Bottom