Converting old shed to Barn/Coop

Finnisher

Chirping
Apr 26, 2016
Hi, so I recently received permission to use an old shed and I was wondering what the best way would be to transform it into a usable area to house poultry.

I want to have quail, rabbits, chickens and turkeys in the barn. I have done my research and the incidence of blackhead is very low in my area, however it's still not preferred to keep turkey/quail with chickens but I don't have another choice. I will keep the turkey and quail away from the chickens until their immune system develops.

The chickens and turkeys will be allowed out of the shed to roam/range but quails and rabbits will stay inside. How do you herd chickens back into the coop? There is a road in front of the shed, it's rarely used but how do I prevent chickens from straying too far or from running onto the road? The owner of the land told me to clean out the barn and throw the garbage to the side and he will clean it up later. Most of the garbage is plastics and right beside the shed, how do I prevent chickens from going there and potentially eating plastics?

I want to lay down mesh (1/4" or 1/2") and put dirt and shavings down on top of it but I don't know if I should allow all the animals to be without cages and just have the entire area to roam. If I build cages I need help to optimize space and cost per animal.

If I bury mesh this will protect animals from digging under, but how will I build the door to prevent animals from coming in from under it?

tl;dr Need help optimizing a shed for rabbits, quails, turkeys and quails. Will bury mesh but still worried of animals coming in under door.

Thanks!
20170528_172219.jpg
20170528_172231.jpg
20170528_172251.jpg
20170528_172256.jpg
20170528_172300.jpg
20170528_172312.jpg
20170528_172324.jpg
20170528_172343.jpg
20170528_172353.jpg

Last edited:
It is a lot of fun! I'm really glad the owner let me use it, I will also gift him some meat when I slaughter the animals, so it's really a win-win. Regarding time, I have a couple of free hours per day on the weekdays, 2-4 hours maybe, but on the weekends I can dedicate at least half the day to this project but only because I really want to have more animals! Next year i'll be sure to plant somethings here and there but it's a bit late this season.

You should start a wordpress blog. You have a little mini homestead project going. From this - to this, would be fun to watch.

We converted a large greenhouse and did it right. It looks so good we are putting in a nice garden next to it. Same thing...too late this year but doing the bones of it. We can't have any more animals, just the 8 chickens, cats and dogs. That place you got could be a palace!

Yea I just measured it 18' by 9', it's a real monster of a barn and it would cost quite a bit to lay mesh but we'll see. Regarding the blog it sounds interesting but we'll see, I still have a bunch on my plate.

to me it looks like you have a decent foundation. can't really tell by the pictures.
If so, you wouldn't have to lay mesh down.
use that money saved for a fence to keep the animals close to the shed.
put mesh over the windows.
on the bottom of the door, if there is a crack, make a "sweep" out of chicken wire or mesh so the wire covers the crack when the door is shut.
I did this on an outside gate and it has lasted for years.

rabbits can coexist with chickens.

you would have to keep the baby turkeys off of any ground that chickens have ever existed on for at least the first 13 weeks of their lives.
I built two "turkey porches" just for this purpose. .
I had adult turkeys in the same coop thru winter with the chickens with no problems.
Not saying to try it, but I did it for many winters..

just keep this in mind. no matter how well you plan, chickens will figure out a way to die or kill themselves.
.....jiminwisc.......

So I dug down one foot and I didn't find anything but dirt, do you still thing there is some foundation?

How would I build a door for the barn? I want to have a hinged door with mesh but I don't know how to create it. Does anyone have any blueprints or have pictures of construction? It's not just the door I need to make but cover the entire front of the barn.

Or if anyone knows a different design for a door let me know, thanks.

Last edited:
you must have something that the walls are setting on ?
a strip of concrete? maybe a wooden beam ?

It would be easier for you to buy a door and build an opening for it..
I bought a very inexpensive wooden screen door and stapled hardware cloth to the bottom half right over the screening.

I have also built many doors and gates. but I am a retired building contractor. doors are difficult for a novice to build.

If you want a solid door, see if there is a second hand building supply in your area. .
I picked up several steel doors for $5.oo or less. might cost a little more if a jamb comes with it. I build my own jambs.
see if you can find someone who can help you..

.....jiminwisc.....

I'll post the pic in a sec but the foundation seems to be cement blocks that are very thick and go 6" deep.

Back
Top Bottom