Converting resin shed to coop. How to mod it?

Pics

Soon2BChixMom

Herding ducks and Wrangling chickens
Jan 8, 2017
I am considering a resin shed for my coop upgrade. I currently have 4 chickens and might want a couple more or I am considering adding a few ducks. I haven't decided and that will be in the future probably not this year.
I am attaching a photo of the shed that I am looking at (or one similar).
I know I need to add a pop door, vents, and roosts as well as nest boxes - maybe an extra window or two.

I know how to use a hammer and nails, a screwdriver, sander, a jig saw, paint brush, etc. Oh, forgot, I know how to use a nail gun and a pneumatic stapler too. Lol My skills are limited when it comes to tools. Oh, but I have used a chain saw and I know how to shoot (tools of a different nature).
However, what saw would you use to cut into the resin shed to make the needed openings? Then of course, you would need to frame those openings?
I am clueless when it comes to carpentry. ;)
I am pretty sure I will have minimal help and I really want to do it myself, so any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks!

The shed pictured is sold by Sears and is a craftsman, but I believe it is the same that is sold under the suncast name. It is an 8'x4'.
spin_prod_1063046812.jpg

spin_prod_776790312.jpg

I added a few sheds to our existing coops and I can tell you how I did mine... Mine are metal but same idea as the risin though, I bought a hole saw bit for my drill and added vent holes around the top ( the size is 1 1/2" diameter) I made several for ventilation.
I made a free standing roost out of 2x4's for them and I made nesting boxes that are two high and 3 wide. These are 2 nest and 3 nest and free standing also.
It works great! Easy to clean throughout with a pressure washer in nice weather.
I also made a screen door for mine too I was really nervous about doing this by myself but I was able to conquer it!
The one thing that I did mess up on was I was off on the cutting on one side of the roost so my husband did fix that for me!

Lots of ventilation!!! Those thing get HOT in the summer months. I'd consider painting it white to help reflect heat.

It needs ventilation, a LOT

Not sure how it will hold up to cutting holes in it.

Gary
I've seen conversions of similar sheds. So, it must do ok. But, I would imagine they had to cut some holes in it for the pop door and extra vents. One of my concerns would be to make sure it is anchored so that it doesn't fly away.;)

I added a few sheds to our existing coops and I can tell you how I did mine... Mine are metal but same idea as the risin though, I bought a hole saw bit for my drill and added vent holes around the top ( the size is 1 1/2" diameter) I made several for ventilation.
I made a free standing roost out of 2x4's for them and I made nesting boxes that are two high and 3 wide. These are 2 nest and 3 nest and free standing also.
It works great! Easy to clean throughout with a pressure washer in nice weather.
I also made a screen door for mine too I was really nervous about doing this by myself but I was able to conquer it!
The one thing that I did mess up on was I was off on the cutting on one side of the roost so my husband did fix that for me!
Do you have photos?

Any saw or hole saw will cut the resin . Jig saw with a metal cutting blade . Small teeth and lots of them will do the least amount of damage . Reciprocating saw or what is called a sawsall would be my choice made by several of the top brand tool makers. there again a metal cutting blade is the best choice . There are several types of resin . The shed your looking at is a poly resin . Soft plastic more or less like vinyl siding . Not quiet as brittle when cold. Mark the opening you want to add, bore a hole with a wood boring bit and then cut it with the saw . Good hole saws of any size require a strong drill and are expensive. Invest in a sawsall and cheaper flat wood boring bits. Really one will do. A one inch bit will give you a good start hole .And for ventilation you can use several small holes Hole saws are a use once in a blue moon. unless your a plumber or an electrician.

Back
Top Bottom