converting shed into chicken coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by muell112, Apr 20, 2009.

1. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    any suggestions as we move forward in designing our coop? We are laying down concrete this week - planning on putting two windows in. The back of the coop faces a windy hill. Posted some pics on my page.

2. Pug Momma

Pug Momma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    Auburn, WA
    I am just finishing the conversion of my back yard shed into a coop! I like it better than other coops, because it is bigger - much more space for them to, y'know, be chickens.
    I made a pop out door that is also a ladder that leads to their run and secured it with a locking latch. Made several roosts about 2.5 feet high going across a corner and used old cantaloupe crates for nesting boxes (I actually, in a fit of craftsmanship, built a 1 foot high, um, "table" to put the cantaloupe crates on) - I secured everything with screws. I also took an old reclaimed window and installed that on the southern side.
    I also cut out two windows on opposite sides - about 4 feet up- and covered them with wire mesh (think sliding door). They can be opened when it is warm for ventilation - but there is also ventilation along the top where there is a gap between walls and ceilling. I put wire mesh along those to keep rats/squirrels/undesireables OUT!
    I also whitewashed the inside and will paint it yellow (latex, of course) because I heard somewhere that they lay more with yellow painted walls (dunno - we'll see!)
    I am also going to do a deep litter method and still need to figure out how to hand the feeder, secure the water - they like to scale both of those!
    Just make sure any windows/openings are above where chickens will roost and that the nesting boxes are off the ground and all will be well! I gess maybe no openings on the windy hill side because drafts are bad.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  3. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    Thanks! I didn't know that about the paint color, will give it a shot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by