Converting standard wafer still air to have a thermostat

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by quailbrain, Apr 28, 2009.

1. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    I'm not one to hatch anything for the last few years but want to hatch this year. I have a standard still air hovabator with the golden wafer heating. I want to add a thermostat to control the heat better. Any suggestions as to how to do this. I have seen the thermostats on ebay for incubators? but I am not sure if I buy just a thermostat if I can throw it in and all will be good?

Thank you!

2. Mikeeeeeeeeee

Mikeeeeeeeeee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2007
    Wetumpka
    Were it me, I would not sink the money into a foam bator.
    I would build a nice plastic cooler one from scratch, or just add a fan to the foam one.

3. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Ignorance showing here... why add a fan to the foam incubator instead of a thermostat? Will this increase consistancy?

4. tink69

tink69 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2009
    NorthCentral Iowa
    I also have a foam bator but mine is fan forced but would also like to change from wafer to thermostat any help is greatly appreciated!!!

5. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:Do not buy those water tank thermistats, (black square jobs) because they do not keep accurate temps that's needed for incubators..

You'll need either a wafer or the new expensive Electronics type that will maintain the temp, I believe within .5 degree..

6. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Do not buy those water tank thermistats, (black square jobs) because they do not keep accurate temps that's needed for incubators..

You'll need either a wafer or the new expensive Electronics type that will maintain the temp, I believe within .5 degree..

Here is a proven one. I use it in my homemade bator, it keeps temp within.5-.7 degree, regardless room temp (My room temp swings 10 degrees day to night)

http://www.ozbo.com/Repti-Temp-500R-Thermome/M/B0002AQD9A.htm

It has a probe which you put in exact spot you want, and the thermostat body is outside the bator, has a nice dial and led light indicating "on" cycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by