Converting this old barn into The Banty Shanty *UPDATES pg 4&5*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FrontPorchIndiana, Dec 16, 2008.

1. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    So I've got a bad case of the winter blahs already and I've been trying to think about spring and next years garden to get my mind off the yucky weather. Our coop design is working out well, except we have a few too many roosters. None of which I want to let go. And they would really like to have their own individual spaces.

[​IMG]

So right now I have chickens on both sides of the coop, but if I'm going to reclaim one of those runs to plant my garden in like we intended I'm going to need a new place for the banties to live. So I'm thinking maybe we could convert the old corn crib.

[​IMG]

It's a mess at the moment and might take half the spring just to clean it up. But if we split it right down the middle I think we could have The Banty Shanty on the right, Turkey Town on the left and a central storage area. We would need to reface this wall, add some windows and doors.

[​IMG]

Each side has a small area already framed with a door that 150 years ago held corn cobs. I'm thinking they could fairly easily be converted into coops.

[​IMG]

Do you want to take a look inside? I figured you did. OK, follow me...

[​IMG]

If we can get all the junk out, reuse these old windows, lower the ceiling and add a little insulation it might work, yes? I'm thinking I could get a few pens just in this one side.

[​IMG]

Then on the far right side of the building, the open area, we can add fencing around the posts and make covered runs. We need to patch the metal roof though. Tree fell on it and poked a bunch of holes in it.

[​IMG]

The other side could serve as the Turkey Town run. Just add an open wall on the south end here, covered in wire with a door.

[​IMG]

That would still leave us plenty of room at the back of the barn for storage.

[​IMG]

So what do you think? Any brilliant suggestions or observations?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  2. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh My!! it's huge!! I could make a whole poultry city there!! [​IMG]

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Wouldn't most of us LOVE to have something like this available? You folks who live on LAND need to count your blessings.

4. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    I bet that'll make an awesome coop! [​IMG]

It's is pretty big so make sure your plans are perfect before you start or it could cost a lot

How big is it? How big do you plan to make the individual areas for turkey town, the banty chanty, and storage?

5. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I think that would make a FINE coop! I wish i had an old barn like that!

6. grandads

grandads Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    i love old buildings like that you are so lucky to have it. it will work great.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

All I can say is WOW! How fortunate you are to have a big old bldg like that to transform! I think it can be an awesome breeding coop or rooster bachelor pad, whatever...

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Oh My God, Ofcourse you have endless possibilities there,
    I live in Ky I would love to visit your barn if you in southern indiana.

Man all what I will say

Congratulation.

very lovely.

Omran.

9. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    If it were me, Id have the main isle down the center. Breeding pens would flank both sides with screen doors to access and everyone would have covered runs that extend out the sides...the roof is already there to cover. There would be a storage area for feed and a brooder at the end.

This is my dream coop and you have it in your back yard!!! [​IMG]

10. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    What a cool project that would be to work on. Can't wait to see the during and after pics. You know you gotta do it, right?? Wish I had an old barn like that to re-do. We live on 16 acres, but when we bought the land 8 years ago, it was farmland. No cool old barns like that to play with. Have fun! Planning is half the fun........

Paula:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by