Converting Wooden elevated Playhouse to Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Newcastle, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Newcastle

Newcastle New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    We have an 8' by 8' playhouse in the back yard and wantot convert it to a Coop. See Pictures. I am clueless on how to lay this out or if it will even work. My rookie thought is to cut a hole in the floor and create the ramp to the ground and fence this area as the run area. Do I need to create more space than the 8' by 8' area underneath. How would you lay out the upper part. take out the few walls above and start witht he shell or can we further enclose the existing walls to create what we need. We want at least 4-6 starting out.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. robertduncombe

robertduncombe New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    Hello there,

WIth this design i would cut the legs down a little, its a bit too high, then i would just make a little ladder out of a sheet on ply cut down, thin thin strips of ply across it for grip, with some roofing fel over the top, this will create a lot of grip. You look like you have a lot of room so an egg box on the inside would be good, But you have the problem of mite hiding behing the box, so its best to have an external box.

3. HouseMouseHens

HouseMouseHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2012
    Portland, Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you cut the legs off completely and have in at ground level? I'm not sure I would want to climb up into that house to care for the chickens/check for eggs, etc. If you do that, close in the walls and make ventilation areas and you'll be set!

4. Newcastle

Newcastle New Egg

Mar 17, 2013
    I thought about bringing it to the ground but the area below seems like a good area for a run/outdoor area. I can close in the whole upper rea, insulate with 1" foam board for comfort but also hopefull reduce eliminate the potential mite problem and then enclose the lower area with wire or maybe build it up with wood and install a removable tray for cleaning. Kind of miffed on how the interior should be laid out. Roost, egg boxes, etc. Still looking for pictures of similar conversions. Thanks for your advice.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great structure to start with! Do ALOT of reading here and you'll figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by