convince my dad!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rooster#3, Nov 10, 2009.

1. Rooster#3

Rooster#3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    wisconsin
    could you help convince my dad to get ducks???whill a female duck fight with female chickens?do they have diffrent nutritonal needs than laying chickens?
    please include good things about ducks!!

thanks

2. Violet22

Violet22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    Central Coast, CA
    I'll let the more experienced owners answer your questions but I can tell you this.........I wish I had gotten ducks years ago! They are the BEST!!! I've had chickens, and may again, but ducks rule! They are so dang entertaining, I can't look at them without laughing. Mine aren't really that noisy either. When they see me, they talk, and when it's treat time at night, they really get going, but for the most part they are quieter than my neighbors chickens.

If you want birds that will keep you constantly entertained with a smile on your face, get ducks!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!![​IMG] I could sit there and watch them all day!

Right now I have 11, 2 Golden White Layers, 5 Runners, 2 Magpies, 1 Rouen and 1 Welsh Harlequin. 2 are drakes, and the rest are ducks.

3. evonne

evonne Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Las Vegas
    my husband didn't want ducks at all... well then the kindergarden hatching experiment that we were going to keep the chickens from got a duck egg... so we were a duck... after he knew we were getting one anyway, someone was giving away one on graig's list.. he said lets go get you a duck... it was about 2 weeks old at the time... they don't really do well solo.. they will always be looking for you for company... but then a week after that we brought his 2 brothers home... ducklings are hilarious... hubby loves them now....

they are messy thgouh... i don't know how they managed to poop outside of the cage they were in.. i would definatley suggest an outside brooder... and make sure it's not too close to the walls of the house.. lol....

they really are so much fun.... and like the previous post said, they really aren't all that loud.. they make a lot of noise, but it's quiet noise.. if that makes any sende... someone said ducks are quiet.. i said not ours.. but hubby said.. if i shut the door, i don't hear the ducks.. can't say that about your chickens and their rooster... lol....

you should get 2 and see how quick you fall in love with them...

4. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Ducks need LOTS OF SPACE... much more than chickens and they are VERY messy.

I'm just sayin'

5. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    Quote:Unless you have a pen you can move around your yard. I don't recommend using a giant dog kennel for this. [​IMG]
    You can technically move it, but it takes forever...

But I've never seen the yard greener than after I got ducks!

Ducks are better than chickens. I'm sorry. It's true.
    Chickens is dum. D - U - M dum (lol). Ducks are spastic (this in turn makes them hilarious), geese are like dogs, turkeys are... Equally as dumb as chickens, but with ten times the personality.

DO NOT expect something clean when you get ducks. They're by far the messiest farm critters you could imagine. Wet and stinky.
    But cute. Insanely cute. [​IMG]

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I LOVE my ducks! If you get them as day old babies and bond with them they will follow you around and quack for you when they cant see you. They have such personality too! Go find the 101 reasons we love our ducks thread on here and have dad read it..its awesome and so true!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by