Convincing Issue

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Jenace, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Jenace

Jenace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    As some of you may know, I'm fairly new to this website and my main goal at the moment is to convince my parents to get chicks in April. Well..... It's not going to well. I presented to them once (I think it was pretty good, I stated the good AND bad things about owning chickens, I also stated information on certain chickens that I believed were perfect for us, then I asked them what was their favorites were and then ended it with a thank you for taking time to listen, then cleaned everything up.) I've also been mentioning chickens every once and a while to keep it in their minds (And being careful not to make them bored of the subject.) But.... I few nights ago at dinner, I mentioned it to them again, and they said, "We're not going to get chickens this year, because we've been seeing some commitment issues." What they mean is, they don't think I'm committed enough to have them. I don't get it! I've been taking care of the animals every day without complaining and did them really good. I told them that I understood how hard it can be to take care of chickens and that I was willing to do it. I've convinced them to change their minds before, but this is a bit more complex of a situation. I've been trying to get chickens for 3 years! Do any of you have suggestions? I really need some help. Thanks. [​IMG]

Jenace ~

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Oh heaven's if you were my kid the coop would already be built! But that's because I have a sickness when it comes to chickens, like many here!

However, I also completely understand your parents, being the parent of two teenagers myself, the younger of whom is always wanting some animal or another.

Ask them to be very specific regarding what they see as your lack of committment. Chickens actually are not at all hard to take care and do not require large amounts of time. But like any critter they do require daily care. Also, and I do not want you to post your age here, but are they perhaps concerned about you going away to college and leaving the care of the chickens to them? Chickens can live for quite a few years. Just have another conversation with them and see if you can get down to exactly what it is that is making them not want to do this. My younger son had to work on me for two years before he got his rabbits but get them he did in the end.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  3. Jenace

Jenace Out Of The Brooder

Jan 3, 2014
    AZ
    I'm not going off to collage any time soon! I'm not even a Teenager yet. Thanks for the advice though. Should I talk to them in a little chat, or a presentation?

Jenace ~

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I do like that you want to be prepared and present this as well as possible! Good for you. But, I think I'd just have a chat and ask for actual examples of what they consider a lack of committment and/or ask them how they think you could improve. They may have some specific's to tell you or they may just be stonewalling lol!

5. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You might want to make a chart of the chores involved with chicken keeping, including when each day that you are going to do each task. As a mom, that would show me that you were serious and understood what was involved in caring for them daily.

6. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    I agree with the other posters. But in my opinion talk will only get you so far. I mean do you have any neighbors with chickens that you can help to show you really have the interest their looking for. Also you've said you've talked to them and presented this and that. Maybe find some small yard work or other little jobs and start saving. It does cost money for building a coop, fencing, feed, chickens and so forth. I wish your luck but in the end it is your parents choice. Just my 2 cents.

7. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    how many animals do you have?? the cost of raising chickens can exeed the cost of raising a dog or a cat (minus vet bills of course) my daughter wanted a horse, begged and begged for a horse, I finally told her to go work in stalls for awhile (for free) and we may talk about it...she is now 22 and doesn't have a horse [​IMG]

8. AmericanMom

AmericanMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2013
    Oregon
    x2...

9. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I would advise you to do the homework about the cost involved in keeping chickens, starting with the housing, including the coop and the run. Where would they be kept, how many? Include the cost of feed, and the cost of purchase of the chicks or started birds, your plans for the possibility of accidentally getting a rooster. Other associated costs of a heat lamp, brooder for chicks, feeders, waterers, heated waterer if you are in a cold area. Is your neighborhood condusive to having chickens? Close neighbors? Does your family keep a garden? You might mention the benefit of having chickens to provide mulch and fertilizer for the garden, as well as their ability to eat insects. Perhaps you could convince them to let you start on a shoe string with just a couple of birds, housed in a repurposed dog house that you could pick up on craigs list.

10. GibsonChicks4U

GibsonChicks4U Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2014
    Porter Texas
    Chickens like many farm animals aren't expensive once you get started, but the getting started can be pricey because there's a lot that is needed all at once

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by