Convincing Silkies to use a nestbox...?

SierraJuliet

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 28, 2015
I have two Silkies, one of whom has recently started laying (the other of whom I can't decide if it's a pullet or roo, but I digress...). I designed my small coop specifically for them, so the nestbox area is located at floor level; however, my hen will not lay in the nestbox. In fact, she seems to lay all over the place, both inside and outside. Based on the location of the inside eggs, it looks like she's sitting down right outside the nestbox area and laying there for the most part. Does anyone have any advice for getting a Silkie to use a nestbox? Is it even possible? Thanks!

I have two Silkies, one of whom has recently started laying (the other of whom I can't decide if it's a pullet or roo, but I digress...). I designed my small coop specifically for them, so the nestbox area is located at floor level; however, my hen will not lay in the nestbox. In fact, she seems to lay all over the place, both inside and outside. Based on the location of the inside eggs, it looks like she's sitting down right outside the nestbox area and laying there for the most part. Does anyone have any advice for getting a Silkie to use a nestbox? Is it even possible? Thanks!
Have you tried putting a dummy egg in the nest boxes?

A dummy egg or golf ball might help. I had a hen that insisted on laying hers while roosting for about two months. She finally figured out the nesting boxes were a better place. Good luck :)

Golf balls work for mine. Well, most of them, anyway :)
I have one hen that insists on laying her eggs right underneath the hanging feeder. She's always done it, and no amount of golf balls, moving, me scratching out her nests, confining, nothing will convince her to use the nest boxes. Not even changing coops (I have 2). We even moved from Va to Tn a couple of years ago (I brought 5 of my chickens with me :oops: ) and she STILL made her nest right under the feeder when she laid her first egg in the new coop. She goes broody there too. She's odd, but I love her :D

Back
Top Bottom