coo coo marans

canada-goose

Is Mostly Harmless
11 Years
Jul 16, 2009
No, I have no idea how to sex Cuckoo Marans at hatching. I suppose you can vent sex them but it's pretty dangerous.

It's probably better to just wait a few weeks. Patience is a virtue, they say.
smile.png

PaulaJoAnne

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
No clue about coo coo marans, but I do know how with Cuckoo Marans;)

The females will have a fairly defined white dot on top of there heads, while the males will have the white spread out a bit.

gryeyes

Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers
10 Years
Sep 22, 2009
My slice of heaven in Somerset, CA
Quote:
Uhhhh...... Don't Plymouth Rock - Barred chicks have the same white spot on their heads? I have one of each - a Cuckoo Marans 20 wks old that started that way, and I just bought a Barred Rock chick that has that same white spot on its head. It made me wonder if the bin o' chicks had been mis-labeled.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Songster
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
NorCal
The females will also tend to have a dark sriped down the front of their shanks and their overall color will be more black, while the males will tend to be more ashy. And the white spot thing, too.

Just like Barred Rock peeps, but without the yellow shanks and feet.

PaulaJoAnne

Songster
10 Years
Jul 30, 2009
Quote:
Uhhhh...... Don't Plymouth Rock - Barred chicks have the same white spot on their heads? I have one of each - a Cuckoo Marans 20 wks old that started that way, and I just bought a Barred Rock chick that has that same white spot on its head. It made me wonder if the bin o' chicks had been mis-labeled.

I think this is true of all the barred breeds.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom