1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coo-ee!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChrissyH88, Feb 20, 2017.

1. ChrissyH88

ChrissyH88 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Corby northants, UK
    Hi all! My name is Chrissy, I am raising chicks for the 1st ever time, my son is being home schooled by me, and we thought it'd be a fun project, so they're technically his chicks, but they love me [​IMG] they're currently 3 weeks old (ish) and seem to be doing well, already terrified that my favourite (Blue) will be a boy and break my heart [​IMG] any advice for a total noob? X[​IMG][/IMG]

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings, Chrissy, and [​IMG]! It's great to have you in our community! As a newcomer to chickens you might like to check out the many useful articles in the Learning Center here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
    In terms of the gender of the one in question, I can assure you I am the wrong person to ask and honestly, it looks a little young to be definitive about. But in time you might post some close up pics in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this The folks that patrol that thread are experts.
    Also, if you'd like to chat with some "locals," there is a a UK thread in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/26/where-am-i-where-are-you
    Best wishes with your chick raising - ask any questions you might have along the way - and thanks for joining BYC!! [​IMG]

3. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Hi there, and welcome to the forum! I'm so glad you joined BYC, please make yourself at home here, and enjoy all the chickeny folks! :frow

~Cuz

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome Chrissy from Yorkshire!

Glad you could join us here! Congratulations on your new chicks :clap I'm sure it will be a fab project for your son. Raising chicks with kids sure is fun and very rewarding too. Redsoxs has left you some great links to check out and I'm sure you will find them most helpful.

Good luck and hope to see you on the UK thread :frow

5. ChrissyH88

ChrissyH88 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Corby northants, UK
    Thanks everyone, i'll definitely have loads of questions so i think you'll see me pop up a lot [​IMG] x

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Much too young to sex. Please post new photos when they are 6-8 weeks old at "what breed or gender is this."

7. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

G’Day from down under Chrissy [​IMG] Welcome!

Your little ones are adorable!

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends [​IMG]

8. ChrissyH88

ChrissyH88 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Corby northants, UK
    Hi! I'm loving it so far! Thats an old pic, this is my babies now, Blue is the grey one xx

[​IMG]

9. ChrissyH88

ChrissyH88 Just Hatched

Feb 20, 2017
    Corby northants, UK
    Closer pic of Blue xx

[​IMG]

10. HennyB

HennyB Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2017
    Currituck, NC
    Hi Chrissy! I'm new and also homeschool my daughter. We haven't got any chicks yet; we are still in the planning phase. But I'm super excited!

Your chick Blue is quite pretty!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by