Cooked brown rice?

Farmer Kitty

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Sep 18, 2007
Wisconsin
I know many of you feed rice to your chickens but, I've gotten the impression that it is white rice. Is cooked brown rice okay?

The girls and Sir Roo turn a year old today and I want to mix them up a special treat!

Thanks for any help.

They will eat any steamed rice fed to them may it be white, brown or wild rice we have fed ours all. On a cold morning we will feed it to them warm with a little steam coming off it, they love it. We will feed our chicks a small handful of uncooked rice never steamed.

Last edited:
Gosh, the things I didn't know. I fed mine steamed brown rice and yogurt from about the first week. Just a little spoonful of each mixed together for 12 chicks to split.

Do you make oatmeal for yours? Mine adore oatmeal as a treat. Moreso than rice.

Cheers,
Michelle

Oatmeal? Oo interesting idea, I haven't tried that yet. Whenever we have leftovers we let ours try them. So far we've learned:
White rice... so-so, they'll eat it but it's not a treat.
Split pea soup... they love it.
Spaghetti noodles and sauce... berzerk crazed attack chickens chasing you to the door for some more!

Also found out that when I rototill anything I look like the Pied Piper with chickens trailing behind me and eating anything I've stirred up. They seem to like morning glory roots that's I've stirred up as well (which I find pretty strange.)

I haven't feed any oatmeal either but, I was thinking maybe some brown rice and oatmeal today as a special birthday treat!
Oh yeah, we're having maccaronis as part of our lunch and I'm going to make extra for them too! I know they love that!

Last edited:
We have fed our chickens brown rice, white rice, and any combination thereof (they get our leftovers!) and they love it.

We've never fed them uncooked rice, though, only leftover steamed rice.

Mine get "breakfast" every morning. It is usually steamed white rice or oatmeal. Sometimes mixed with scambled egg! My family says I treat the chickens better than I do them!!
big_smile.png
I have found that they love any of our leftovers. My son tossed in a porkchop bone with alot of meat on it. I never saw anything as funny as when my hen grabbed that bone and took off with it! 10 other hens chasing and squaking behind her!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom