Cooked egg for chicks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chicksdontmeow, Mar 29, 2016.

1. chicksdontmeow

chicksdontmeow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Illinois
    So I was talking with my friend about giving my chicks half of an egg (there's only five and a whole egg would be too much) and saw some posts on here talking about scrambled egg and others mention hard boiled. I got them from the feed store yesterday, so I want to say they're between half a week and 1 week old. If I feed them egg, I also have to offer grit for them too? Or is the egg soft enough that grit isn't necessary? I've got chick grit that I just picked up today so it's not a big problem if they do need it, I'm just curious. I know I definitely need to give them grit if I offer anything like grains or insects.

Just curious and looking for input and some advice.

2. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    You can feed them egg without grit. They cook it for a number of reasons, it is less messy and the thought is it does not encourage egg eating later on

3. chicksdontmeow

chicksdontmeow Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2016
    Illinois
    So it's more of a personal preference when it comes to hard boiling and scrambling, just so long as it's cooked?

4. OrganicFarmWife

OrganicFarmWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2015
    No where Nebraska
    Yes. If they were sick I would suggest hard boiled yoke, because you can make it watery. But chick's should have no problem eating scrambled egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by