cooked my chickens breakfast this morning :)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mojo Chick'n, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Ok, I admit it, I spoil my chickens (who on here doesn't?).

I had read about folks cooking oatmeal for their chickens, and this morning was our first cold morning (got to around 45 last night, I got some smaller babies yet, they were huddled and poofed up - poor things).

So, having a partial container of oatmeal in the cupboard, I decided to cook some up for them to get em going until the sun gets higher and warms it up a bit.

The banties didn't care as much for it - but they got some leftover chicken soup (minus most of the broth and rinsed for the salt content, and warmed) and they ate it like it was their last meal. It had both noodles and rice in it, carrots, etc... only thing they didn't care for was the cooked celery - my youngest son hates that, too, picks it out.

The free rangers got the oatmeal, since the babies didn't want it, either. They were leery at first, until the boldest hen decided to plunge into the pan and give it a try - then they all mobbed it and it was gone within about 4 minutes.

I had saved some out for Miss Celie - my "liberated" hen who lives in the woods and will have nothing to do anymore with the roos (or the hens, lately) and comes out to sit with me sometimes while I have tea and while she and my cochin pullet scratch around for bugs.
    Miss Celie decided she didn't care for raisins, [​IMG] and in fact most of those got left in the other pan, so I'll leave those out next time.

I'll be doing this more often, I think - oatmeal is cheap and takes only a few minutes to cook up, and if it'll keep them more comfy with something warm to start the day, then it is worth it.

Guess I'd better get more oatmeal when I go to the store, next [​IMG]

Peace -
    Meriah

2. mlmadura

mlmadura Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    ms
    My chicks LOVE oatmeal - You would think I had given them Filet Mignon LOL

3. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Wow.........I was planning on doing that tomorrow. Glad to know they liked it. Today I tried Yogurt for the first time and not only did they love it but I got a chuckle watching them eat it............there was yogurt everywhere......beaks.....wattles........combs.

Can they have ice cream?

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Quote:I am imagining a chicken with tiny brain freeze - they'd stop thinking for a month! :eek:

Would probably make them pass out, [​IMG]

If ya try it, take pics!!!

Peace -
    Meri

5. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    On the few cold mornings we get here in South Fla, I make my chickens a warm dish by pouring hot water over a pan of their layer pellets. I use a big plastic plant saucer for a dish. They all go nuts gobbling it up as fast as they can, and it's just their regular old feed, just warm & wet.

They like it even better when I add things like oatmeal, raisins, corn, cayenne pepper, scrambled egg, whatever seems good & is handy or leftover.

6. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Quote:I thought I had read on here somewhere that you aren't supposed to give them raisins? [​IMG] Could be wrong, I read way too much stuff on the computer!

<EDIT> Found the treats chart...raisins are good [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    It was very wet and windy here yesterday and the silly things were huddled under a tree (dunno why they didn't go back in the coop!) so I decided to make them some porridge and they just went crazy for it. Will def be giving them that again.

8. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Raisins are o.k. for the chickens, very bad for dogs. Tough to remember all this when you have multiple species running around. [​IMG]

9. orbirdman

orbirdman Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    oregon
    i cook oats, soybeans, quinoa and frozen veggies all together for a mash. i cool it then throw a few teaspoons of yogurt into it. they apechit over it.

10. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* [​IMG] Thought that was a misspelling of "appreciate" at first! Lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by