Cooked my first this morning!

dichotomymom

Songster
11 Years
Mar 19, 2008
Dayton Indiana
I cut two breasts up into bite size chunks, made an orange glaze and baked it and served it with toothpicks as an appetizer. I was very pleased with it and can't wait to roast a whole one next year. My kids didn't even mind that they were former "pets", it tasted so good....

Duck is delicious. This is a pekin duck breast that I ate for lunch the other day. I also fry the potatoes in the rendered duck fat, as well as the stir fried vegetables. The meat tastes like filet mignon.

37123_lunch.jpg

edited for spelling: pekin, not pelin.

Last edited:
Tonight I'm having duck sausage made from giblets, mashed rutabaga with butter, and green beans.

This 16 week old muscovy drake ended up as my neighbor's Christmas dinner. Weight was 8.17 lbs dressed.

37123_meatduck.jpg

Aren't ducks tasty? It's good to see someone else raising them for meat. Any pictures?

No, but I will definitely take some! Our pekins were so much more worth the work compared to processing and eating our dual purpose. I wasn't going to eat the ducks but now that I know how good they are, I'll be buying some along with broilers next spring.....

Are ducks really that hard to pluck? I always hand pluck the geese, and other than the down sticking to my hands and making me feel as though I've been tarred and feathered I find it no harder than a broiler chicken.

I do get a good scald, though. We had goose for christmas. Mmmm. Hooray for delicious waterfowl!

Quote:
I pluck and wax, which adds to the cost and complexity of the process. Never plucked a goose so I have nothing to compare. Any pictures?

Back
Top Bottom