1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cooked quinoa for 2 week old chicks

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by tjparker60, Aug 29, 2016.

1. tjparker60

tjparker60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2016
    Is it ok to feed 2 week old bantam chicks cooked quinoa?

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    It should be fine as long as they have grit available. Just give them a tiny bit as their chick feed should be formulated to give them all the correct nutrients and any "treats" you add throws off the nutrients that they are receiving.

Don't be surprised if initially they appear afraid of it or they might not touch it. If they don't have an adult showing them that it is edible they might take a while to test it out for themselves.

I personally don't feed my brooder chicks anything other than the crumbles. There are others who do things differently. That's just me.

Good luck and enjoy your birds. [​IMG]

3. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016

Thank you! How do you tame yours then if you don't give the occasional treat?

4. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I give them treats after they are old enough to go outside and be in the coop. I just don't do it in the brooder.

When they are in the brooder, I try to spend a lot of time picking them up and talking to them. I also call to them in the brooder before I feed them so they associate fresh feed coming in with me. I also try to come at them from underneath or the side when attempting to catch them as your hand swooping down from the top appears to be a predator to them. It is just their instinct to run from the unfamiliar when they are chicks. Generally they will get accustomed to you and spook less when you come around, and depending on breed and personality, might actually run to you and jump on your lap, or shoulder for attention.

I do like to play with and handle my chickens. They are egg providers, entertainment and pets to me. Many people feel differently. [​IMG]

5. tjparker60

Mar 2, 2016
    Yes I've been talking to them and picking up the ones I can! I have Mille Fleur d'Uccles, Silkies, Mottled & Black Frizzle Cochin, Easter Egger Bantams, Blue Favaucana, and Buff Brahma bantams! One of my d'Uccles runs to me and sits in my hand while I pet her. I just want the others ones to be friendly too! I talk to them and call them "my peeps" and many come running, but really don't want me to pick them up! [​IMG] I'll keep doing what you do and see if that helps!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  6. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Sounds like you are doing fine. You will never get all of them to be snugglers but many will. Enjoy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by