cooked spaghetti

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by terry the teacher, Jun 25, 2008.

1. terry the teacher

terry the teacher Out Of The Brooder

Nov 12, 2007
    Hi you all,
    I had left over spaghetti and gave some to my two girls this morning - who loved it. But I want to make sure that it's not just "empty calories" before I give them more. What do you think?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's fine for a once in awhile treat...just as long as their reg. feed is kept out.....

3. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Yeah, it is sort of empty calories. But the entertainment value is so high that giving them some once in a while would be rewarding.

4. terry the teacher

Nov 12, 2007
    I read somewhere on this site that you can freeze the spaghetti and give it to them when it's hot. And it's been HOT here in Central Texas.

5. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    LOL
    I just took some down to the chickens last night that was left over from supper. I only give it about every 2 weeks so they enjoy it as a side dish to their own regular food. My free range chickens don't care anything for it but my cooped chicks really love something different.[​IMG]

6. xanaxnation

xanaxnation Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    maybe the excercise they get from chasing each other with noodles helps burn off some of the empty calories [​IMG] LOL my girls fling it all over the place

7. happyhen

happyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Northeastern Ohio
    Mine act like it's manna from Heaven! I just try not to give too much or too often.

8. carwinew

carwinew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2008
    My free range chickens love spaghetti. They also get stale crackers, chips and bread as treats in addition to laying pellets. They really love the seeds and pulp left over from melons which are just now coming into season. If you think chickens running around with spaghetti noodles is funny you should see them with melon pulp and seeds.

9. terry the teacher

Nov 12, 2007
    I just took them some cut up cantelope and the seeds were the first thing they went for:D. I was surprised because I thought they would like the flesh better. THey are always surprising me![​IMG].

10. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:OK ... just plain noodles or Spaghetti with sauce ? I KNOW , I KNOW , CAJUN's love it all ... GUESS these cajun chickens are NO exception . [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by