Cooked veggies

smilzsomuch

In the Brooder
Nov 20, 2019
Recently i made some ‘ cabbage stew’.
This consists of cabbage, bell pepper, celery, stewed tomatoes, and some onion. I made approximately 8 quarts.
There was only 1 (medium) onion in the whole pot. Half of the pot was consumed by we humans. ☺
My question: is it safe to feed the remainder to my 11 chickens? I don’t mind draining the juice off if need be.
Thanks!

Sep 2, 2018
Big Chimney, WV
My Coop
My Coop
Don't know about chickens, but my ducks would devour this in an instance. And i noticed that cooked onions have had no negative effect on the Duckies digestive system, if that's the concern. As said ducks, but i don't thing chickens would be much different and i assume the would also only eat what they like and discard what's bad for them.

so lucky

Crowing
Jan 31, 2011
SE Missouri
Yes, but you might want to ration it out, unless you have a lot of chickens. Mine get left overs and scraps but not too much at one time.

Red-Stars-in-RI

Songster
Mar 24, 2014
Rhode Island
I give my chickens the "remains" after I make stock or broth...that usually includes a mix of meat, bone, a little onion, plus some veggie bits and peels (celery, carrots, etc.) - I'd say give the flock some and see what they think.

Mixing some of the "broth" with their food may help soak it up and be an nice warm treat on a cold day.

Top Bottom