Cookie can water heater is brilliant!

lisebarb

Songster
11 Years
Jul 17, 2008
Colchester, Ontario Canada
I got a can of Danish butter cookies for Christmas and with the empty tin and a photo I saw here describing it, I made a cookie can water heater.
I found the socket and cord in the lighting aisle at Canadian Tire (total cost 10 bucks) and put the thing together over the weekend. I'm using a 40 watt long lamp bulb (like the kind you see in those old-fashioned bankers desk lamps) I picked up at the dollar store.

This thing works like a charm! I put the cookie can on top on a cinder block and the waterer on top of that and my girls haven't had frozen water since. As a matter of fact, the water is actually warm (which makes me think I could get away with a 25 watt bulb).

Anyway, I owe a big thanks to the person who originally thought this us and posted those pics!
thumbsup.gif

Aren't they GREAT! I first started with a 25 watt bulb but we were soon into subzero weather and I had to change it to a 40 watt. It has since been put on a timer so it keeps the water thawed from 3pm-8am. Temps are somewhat stable now and that seems to work fine.
smile.png

All the BYCers who use the cookie tin water heater...
You better stock up on the bulbs for these water heaters and all the other things we use bulbs for that give off heat. I read last week that as of 2014, the manufacturers will not make the incandescent bulbs due to the government banning them by 2020....they will only produce those compact fluorescent lamp. Besides the fact that they lie about them lasting 5 years, they do not give off any heat. I've been stocking up...

I made several of these for all my animals. Also found the thermocubes on sale for like 7 bucks. So the heaters turn On at 35 degrees and turn off at 45. It's great

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom