Cookie tin heater

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by blackswamp, Nov 23, 2013.

1. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    I got a question for people that use one of these heaters. I have just a regular 40 watt bulb in there & is this enough to keep water from freezing? I put a 60 in there & it was to hot. I do use a plastic water container.

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Fawn and Fam

Fawn and Fam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Check out the thread I started today "ANYBODY USE A COOKIE TIN WATER HEATER?"

3. Chickens R Us

Chickens R Us Chillin' With My Peeps

Instead of a cookie tin I use a popcorn tin because it is taller the perfect height for my large fowl chickens. I put 3-4 inches of gravel in the bottom so it is sturdy and will not tip over. For anyone that doesn't know what a popcorn tin is, you can usually find them around Christmas filled with 4 different types of popped popcorn at stores like Shopko, K-mart and Walmart. I got mine at Good Will for 50 cents. I use a 40w or 60w bulb and a light kit which runs around $5.00

4. Bogtown Chick

Bogtown Chick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2012
    Northern Minnesota
    My Coop
    I used a 40 watt last winter and thought the water stayed open pretty well. We ran into freeze overs at about the -15 F mark. Then this fall I found a 25 watt and it worked to about 0 before I got ice over on my fount. The tin I recall last year felt "warm enough" with the 40...I don't think I would go to the 60 watt bulb. You are correct on that.

5. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Last night it got cold & when the wife open the door this morning to let the chickens out the water wasn't frozen. I was really happy to hear that. Now I got to figure out what's wrong with one of my chickens she has been sick for about a week and a half. Thanks for the replies.

Jeff

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by