1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cookie tin water heater pictures.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by The Proprietor, Dec 1, 2012.

1. The Proprietor

The Proprietor Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2011
    east coast USA
    Last year I saw plans for an inexpensive water heater for my chickens on the forum pages. The whole project only cost me about $2.50 and it works fantastic.

All you need is:
    a large cookie tin
    an outdoor socket and plug ($2.50 at the local hardware store)
    metal snips
    40 watt light bulb (25 watt works if it doesn't get too cold, but for sustained winter temps of 10-25 degrees, like at my house, the 40 works better)

Optional:
    Drill
    silicone to seal the area around the socket
    I made a wooden box to put it on so the girls can't get to the plugs and wires and also to keep the snow off it. I have the extension cord coming up under it into the box.
    I like the extra height the wooden box give the waterer. The girls can't scratch as much dirt, etc into it.

[​IMG] I used a drill to start the hole for the socket and then cut it out with metal snips.

[​IMG] The socket fit perfectly so no need to seal it

[​IMG] 40 watt bulb

[​IMG] putting the socket and plug together

[​IMG]

[​IMG] Put the lid on and I'm done

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Great job on the heater!!
    You might want to put some silicone sealer around the socket and where the wires go on the plug, just in case they get wet

3. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    great job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by