Cookie Tin water heater

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hinkjc, Nov 24, 2008.

1. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I was going thru my old pics and found these and thought others may find them useful. They are small and large size cookie tins. The small ones (approx 6 inches round) work well for 1 gallon plastic waterers. The Larger one works well for the wider mouth 1 gallon waterers and 2-3 gallon waterers. I use a 25 or 40 watt bulb, depending on temps. Typically 25 watt is sufficient.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jody

4 people like this.
  2. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Jody--I just came to this section to see what others thought of the 3 gal heated fountain waterer--for about $40.00!

You just saved me a bundle--this will work just fine for me. Thanks a bunch!

Becky

3. CK Chickadilly

CK Chickadilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    West Michigan
    What a neat idea! Thanks for sharing! [​IMG]

4. funonahonda

funonahonda Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Let me tell ya this is a great idea, I'm going to try this instead of using the high electric using heatlamp. Thanks

5. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    thats cool.[​IMG] now I want to tear my store bought one apart.It probably looks just like that inside. Nice idea. Will

6. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    Yes I'm going to sound really stupid now... How do these work? Do you imerse them in the water or what?

7. willheveland

willheveland Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    southern tier,NY
    Quote:I hope you just put the lid on and turn on the light,the warmth from the light inside the tin will be like a hotplate for your waterer to sit on. Will

1 person likes this.
  8. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    ok, that makes sense if you use chicken waterers. I use cattle water troughs (the smaller ones) so the chickens and goats can drink from it.

9. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:I wouldn't submerse them in the water. My mom always told me that electricity and water do not mix well.

1 person likes this.
  10. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    that is such a great idea wish I had thought of that ,I just got 2 of the 40.00 in the mail today . cackel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by