Cooking a pork roast in a pot....

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by itsy, Dec 7, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Hey! I'm in the middle of cooking a pork roast in a pot on the stove. This is a first for me, as I usually make it in the crock pot. I seasoned it, seared it in a little oil and put it in the pot with cut up onion and sweet potatoes. Simple, but I like the way this tastes! I believe that my crock cooks slower than the stove, or I don't pay as much attention because it seems like there's an abunance of liquid in the pot at the moment. I poured a little out. Mistake?

When you make roasts on the stove (beef, pork, whatever) do you pour out excess liquid during the cooking process?

I feel like if there's too much liquid - it's going to just sit there and boil and turn out rubbery.

2. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Next time, try cooking it low and slow in the oven - about 300 for about 2 hours, then add the vegetables and cook another hour or 1 1/2 hours. You can cover the pot for most of the cooking time, then remove it for the last half hour/45 min. of the time to reduce some of the liquid.

Did you brown the roast over high heat with some oil in the pan before you started cooking it? Searing the meat helps to hold in the juices while it is cooking. Also, let the roast sit in the covered pot for 15-20 min. when the cooking time is up to let the juices redistribute back into the meat. And use a meat thermometer to test that the piece of meat is safely completely cooked.

Did you add liquid to the pan before starting to cook the roast? Think of this as a pork pot roast and only add enough liquid at the start, maybe 1 cup, first. You can use chicken or vegetable broth or water. You do not need to submerge the meat in liquid. A bay leaf, some dried thyme leaves, salt and pepper would be good seasonings to use.

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Roast always tastes better if you brown the meat first. That might be what you are experiencing.

I've never cooked a roast on top of the stove. I either oven roast (dry roast), crock pot, or use an electric skillet. If you want it dry roasted, you don't add water. If you want it stewed, you add water. Either way will make good gravy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by