Cooking Bitties T.T

justcallmekinn

Chirping
Mar 21, 2019
Mississippi
Ok, so I live in South Western Mississippi. Right now the temp is 95° with a heat index of 100°. I haven't have to use a heating lamp during the day with my 2 week olds except at night and at a distance. There is a constant day temp of 90° in my brooder with a fan turned on them. Today is bad though. They all seem so hot. I put a tiny bit of cold water in the waterer, but then they got to cold. I'm not too sure what to do aside from bringing then in my house, but then my Pullet Rosé is gonna get mad because I'm not letting her in because my grandmother says she poops too much. What do I do!

Where are the chickens—in a coop? Are they in something that you can move around, that is safe from predators? Is there shade on them? A 2 week old should be able to tolerate 80-85 degrees, so I would try to use a thermometer, and place them in a cool place with shade, and air circulating overhead, not on them. A picture of your setup might be helpful.

Where are the chickens—in a coop? Are they in something that you can move around, that is safe from predators? Is there shade on them? A 2 week old should be able to tolerate 80-85 degrees, so I would try to use a thermometer, and place them in a cool place with shade, and air circulating overhead, not on them. A picture of your setup might be helpful.
The temp was at 100°, and that is in the shade. When I moved the fan more directly on the box it came down to 90° and they started livening up. The box has a bunch of small holes I drilled all over it to help with airflow. They are in my fenced in carport. I use the lid to the box as a morning sun shade, but afternoons and evenings the sun stays off them. If a two week old can tolerate 80°-85°, then I don't have to put the lamp on at night cause my nightly low has been 80° with the fan on them. My RIR, almost 5m/o, is steaming. I keep giving her cold water, cold treats, a puddle to stand in, and a fan. I have them on the carport because it's about 10° cooler than the small yard I keep them in, and I'm in the process of upgrading their coop and yard. Next year I hope to have a window a/c for their coop on extreme days.
IMG_20190812_140523564.jpg
IMG_20190812_140513079.jpg

The temp was at 100°, and that is in the shade. When I moved the fan more directly on the box it came down to 90° and they started livening up. The box has a bunch of small holes I drilled all over it to help with airflow. They are in my fenced in carport. I use the lid to the box as a morning sun shade, but afternoons and evenings the sun stays off them. If a two week old can tolerate 80°-85°, then I don't have to put the lamp on at night cause my nightly low has been 80° with the fan on them. My RIR, almost 5m/o, is steaming. I keep giving her cold water, cold treats, a puddle to stand in, and a fan. I have them on the carport because it's about 10° cooler than the small yard I keep them in, and I'm in the process of upgrading their coop and yard. Next year I hope to have a window a/c for their coop on extreme days.View attachment 1876020 View attachment 1876022
Nanna will let me bring the bitties inside, but Rosé made too much of a mess last time I brought her in.

Back
Top Bottom