Cooking Chickens...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jwg423, Jun 12, 2011.

1. jwg423

jwg423 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    After cleaning meat chickens can you eat them right away or do they need to rest for a time first? If so how long?

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I like to kill mine before daylight Saturday morning and cook it for Sunday supper.

3. jwg423

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    ok, thank you, we will do that.
    We have some meat chickens that I haven't weighed to get an exact weight, but they feel pretty heavy (estimate 8 pounds), and my bf wants to try one next weekend, and see if they are about right for us. This is our first time so I was wondering if we should eat right away or leave them set for a while.

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    most of us rest them for several days . . . it depends how you like your meat.

5. john.huston45

john.huston45 New Egg

Jun 14, 2011
    We know that chicken is a popular and adaptable meat that lends itself to being flavored to your tastes. The crockpot, with its moist environment and slow cooking, is one of the best ways to cook chicken. You may not know but Chicken soups is the best and easy recipe for summer.

Spam Removed

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2011
  6. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

After a chicken has been killed and processed, you need to let it sit for 1 to 3 days in the fridge. Just like everything else that dies, it'll get rigor mortise which totally ruins the meat. Rigor passes over a few hours to a day, so you want to make sure you give your processed chicken plenty of time to rest and relax. When you pick it up to prepare it, the joints should be loose and limp, as should the muscles. If it's still stiff, you need to let it rest another day in the fridge.

Hope this helps.

7. homesteadapps

homesteadapps Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    Ohio
    You can cook it immediately before rigor mortis sets, but once it has set you'll probably want to want to wait until the stiffness is gone before cooking.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  8. jwg423

Jun 10, 2011
    Minnesota
    Ok that makes sense, Thank You much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by