Cooking Confession

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by AVizcaya, Jan 23, 2012.

1. AVizcaya

AVizcaya Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2009
    Ok.... I have to admit my greatest culinary sin.... I have been raising chickens for over 4 years and today was the first time I made homemade mayonnaise.... We are talking marigold yellow mayo that tastes better than anything I thought imaginable, and all of this is coming from a person who never liked mayo. Anyways, whoever reads this, go forth and sin no more, RUN to your coop, grab a couple eggs, a lemon, some light olive oil and enjoy the most amazing chicken salad sandwich in your life... I repent, now it's your turn.... RUN!!!!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I think I agree.
    We don't use a lot of mayo but I hope to never buy it again.
    I asked my wife to alert me when we're close to being out and I'll make our own from that point on with our stuff.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Recipe please..?? =D
    What if i have salmonella in my coop and dont know it... (i worry about that sometimes)..
    Is the egg cooked at all??
    I'm really interested in making this...thanks for any info!! :)

4. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    This is the recipe that I use....I have been using it for a very long time and have never had any problems. I have been told that the vinegar helps protect from any salmonella problems. I don't know if that is true or not but we love the homemade mayo. Store mayo tastes like stale oil to me.

I triple this recipe to make one quart of mayo....

MAYONNAISE

2 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 cup oil
    Salt to taste
    Put the eggs, vinegar, lemon juice and dry mustard in the food processor and whip it for a second or two to mix it up good. With the processor running drizzle the oil into the eggs in a very thin stream until all the oil is in. Add a pinch of salt and taste it to see if it needs more. Some people like to spice their Mayo up a bit with cayenne.

Tip: Mayo keeps 4 weeks in the refrigerator as long as only CLEAN utensils are dipped in it. I put a "due" date on my jar just in case but I’ve never had it last that long.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks!!! I want to try this.. :)

6. KBlue

KBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Katy, TX
    Going to have to try this too!!!
    [​IMG]
    I love mayo, but I have not made it myself, which is shameful! [​IMG]

7. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

It crosses my mind occasionally as well, but I figure the risk is pretty low. I wonder if your local health department would run a test if you asked? Mix up a dozen eggs and test a sample from that.

A quick search turns up a couple of places you can buy test strips. I might do that if I were selling to the public, just for peace of mind.

-Wendy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by