Cooking for your chickens & others

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by eggzettera, Sep 3, 2008.

1. eggzettera

eggzettera Chillin' With My Peeps

So I made rice with raisins for my chicks last night added some molasses, flax seed oil, just whatever was on hand and/or needed to be used up....now here is the good part....after it was done I coated with cornmeal, it will serve those ants....... well I hope.....ya got alot of ants this year & my girls don't fancy them....hoping the cornmeal will to the trick.

Anyone else cook meals for their chooks?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    All the time! I've posted some recipes in the recipe section.....

Most foods that are low fat and low salt are good for your birds. We don't feed most animal protein to ours, (exception is fish) but they do forage our acreage, so they eat lots of yard yummies.

edited for spelling [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. hooligan

hooligan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2007
    Arkansas
    If you do a search there is along thread on that Cooking for Chickens that I started awhile ago, lots of good recipes there [​IMG]

4. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    I've been having a lot of fun, finding new ways to cook treats for the girls!

First you start with cooking vegetables...then you start adding grains, then you think "what if I added some hard-boiled egg?" and then...

My boyfriend says I'm spoiling them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by