1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cooking Ham Question

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by SterlingAcres, Oct 24, 2008.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My parents raised pigs this year and just had them butchered. They brought over a ham last night, that's smoked. I'm not sure if that means it's precooked? I've got it in the oven at 400 degrees... About how long should I cook it?

Thanks in advance [​IMG]

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    A ham I cooked today said cook at 325 F for 25 minutes for every pound. If unsure I'd get a meat thermometer and stab it into the ham and check a cookbook to when ham is done.

3. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Ehh. I let it cook for an hour and a half. It was MIGHTY tasty. Nothing like fresh pork [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    glad i ran across this...i got a whole hog that i traded pound for pound for chicken. six hams in my freezer!

(getting another half, so three more coming. guess what dish i am bringing for Christmas this year?)

5. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    You won't be disappointed. This ham was sooooo juicy and delicious... I just added some Extra Virgin Olive Oil and some Light Brown Sugar to it and it came out fantastic. For 8 people here, I had just enough left to save a ham hock for soup. [​IMG] The kids devoured it.

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i cannot wait! they had them smoked for us even.

brown sugar. making ham better since, well, the invention of brown sugar! [​IMG]

7. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Yeah, this one was smoked too. Let me just say.... Melt in your mouth!

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yummy yummy.

maybe i better defrost one of those bad boys next week.

ooooh, potato and ham soup with left overs. hello!

9. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I froze my ham hock for later. I'll use it once these inlaws get out of my house. They eat EVERYTHING yet they're so picky it's ridiculous (like they'll eat grilled cheese, but only if it's made with MAYO... barf)

My DH and toddlers LOVE potato soup... as well as split pea soup. So, either of those is what I'll be making [​IMG]

10. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    that is so funny! about the in-laws!

we love all the good soups too! perfect time of year for them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by