Cooking Hard Boiled Eggs - why do they do this?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Status Crow, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Status Crow

Status Crow New Egg

Jun 25, 2008
    They way I used to cook (store bought) hard boiled eggs was to put eggs in cold water pot, bring to a boil, take off the heat, cover and let stand for 15 minutes. Then transfer to bowl of ice water until cool.
    Now when I do this with my fresh eggs I have noticed something strange. When I peel them it seems a layer of the egg white comes off with the shell. Not only is it wasteful and frustrating but makes for really ugly devilled eggs.
    Anyone experience this with their eggs, fresh or otherwise? Help!

2. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

so buy old store bought eggs for that, fresh eggs must be scooped out of the shell because they are too fresh to come cleanly out or off the shell...

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    The eggs are too fresh, let them sit for a week in the fridge and then try it. [​IMG] There's a trick involving poking a hole with a pin in one end of the egg, but I couldn't tell ya how to do it.

4. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:ADD SALT to the boiling water . Its doing this because the eggs are SO FRESH . YOU also need to boil them longer

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I'm just now starting to get fresh eggs, so I don't know for certain but I will tell you how I hard boil my eggs and you can try that to see if it makes any difference. I'm wondering if maybe the eggs aren't getting cooked enough. I put my eggs in a pot and add cold water just until the water covers the eggs. I put them on the stove over med. heat until they come to a boil. Then I start the timer and let them boil for 15 min. After that I poor the boiling water off of the eggs and run cold water over them until they are cooled. Good luck with them and hope this helps! [​IMG]

I guess others have already answered this question! I've learned something also! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  6. fredvw

fredvw Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2008
    Here is how we boil eggs. Pick up fresh eggs put in refrgerator over night. Take out of Frig place on counter at room temp for a day to day and half. Put eggs in pan with a healthy dose of vinegar. We use about a cup to one and half to two quarts of water. Bring to boil 3 minutes then cover let sit ten minutes. Cool and peel. Works for us.

Fred

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
  8. Janie

Janie Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2008
    UK
    IMO super fresh eggs make the best poached eggs, few day old eggs make the best fried and old eggs make the best hard boiled.
    [​IMG]

9. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    One of the best compliments I got from my nana/mom/stepmom (she's techincally my stepmom, but raised me from the age of 14 after my own mom died when I was 11...)

"I could tell your eggs were fresh because they were so hard to peel"

That's her way of saying thanks for the eggs...and complimenting me on my chicken hobby... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by